Subject: RE: [election-services] EML v6 DATA MODELS

Joe

One diagram I did put together whilst producing the data model was a picture that showed for each of the top level entities which schemas were associated with that.  For example Candidates includes schemas 210, 220, 230 etc. At the death I decided it wasn't any use so ditched it but I can re-create it easily if you think it would meet the need you've indentified?
As you say adding schema numbers to my current diagrams wouldn't look good and falls foul of strict data modelling protocols which could raise objections from certain people.

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall [joehall@gmail.com]
Sent: 28 January 2010 01:16
To: John Borras
Cc: Zelechoski, Peter; election-services@lists.oasis-open.org

2010/1/15 John Borras <John@pensive.eu>:
> Peter thanks for the comments. I think what you are saying supports my view that we can add further layers of detail, if required,  but at a later stage.  For now this should suffice.

I also think it's a great start and really thank John for putting the
time into it (as well as so many other things).  I think it's
essential to have some visual (or other) representation of how the
various EML schema map onto this data model.  The consistent
complaints I hear from people in the U.S. trying to do stuff with EML
is that they are often unsure how their own data model might map onto
the EML schema... by providing our own data model and some linkage to
the various EML schema, we could satisfy this complaint without going
the route of "assisting with implementations of EML" or whatever the
bright line is between drafting the standard and helping people use
it.

I suspect adding schema numbers and such to these data model
representations wouldn't be particularly a good idea (that is, it
would complexify the visualizations substantially).  Is there another
figure or set of figures that could map the schema onto this data
model?

best, Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
ACCURATE Postdoctoral Research Associate