Subject: Re: [election-services] EML v6 DATA MODELS

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 3:45 AM, John Borras <John@pensive.eu> wrote:
> One diagram I did put together whilst producing the data model was a picture that showed for each of the top level entities which schemas were associated with that.  For example Candidates includes schemas 210, 220, 230 etc. At the death I decided it wasn't any use so ditched it but I can re-create it easily if you think it would meet the need you've indentified?
> As you say adding schema numbers to my current diagrams wouldn't look good and falls foul of strict data modelling protocols which could raise objections from certain people.

I guess the pieces missing here (in the eyes of a few people I know
writing software to do stuff with EML) is: 1) an understanding of the
entity-relationship and activity models EML editors and current users
have in their heads; and, 2) how this understanding of the elements of
an election system from 1) translates to the specific standard.

I think with a good narrative (which might already exist elsewhere)
the data modeling you've done is great for the first need.  However,
this second need should be served so that we enable people to not only
understand the underlying model but also to begin to use the schema to
do things in a standardized way.  So, yes, let's not add schema
numbers to the data model figures!  But let's do think about how we
connect the data model to the schema for potential users.  I think
it's safe to say that even with a data model, there will be a variety
of implementations via the various schema with trade-offs and such...
going that far is probably too much and akin to a "EML user's forum";
what we want is a nominal use case for the schema, in such a way that
the TC is comfortable with it.

Talk to you all in a bit (although I may not be able to join the call
until 20 after the hour given my horrendous 2.5hr commute to
Princeton). best, Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
ACCURATE Postdoctoral Research Associate