emergency-cap-profiles message

Subject: RE: [emergency-cap-profiles] Definition of "Profile"

There is one thing a profile cannot do. It cannot remove required elements
or make them optional. It can choose to ignore them, but the message must
still contain them, and they must be interpretable based on the definitions
of the standard. (Even the NWEM Standard does that.)

R/s

Gary A. Ham
http://grandpaham.com
703-899-6241
Grandpa can do IT!

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacob Westfall [mailto:jake@jpw.biz]
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 11:31 AM
To: emergency-cap-profiles@lists.oasis-open.org

> "In standardization, a profile consists of an agreed-upon subset and
> interpretation of a specification. Many complex technical specifications

This definition is very broad and while suitable as a generalization for
something like Wikipedia, it is not specific enough to provide direction for
a standards technical body.  I think there needs to be some specific
criteria outlined that determines what constitutes a "profile" and
guidelines for their creation and submission to the TC.

For instance in the above quoted statement, the term "subset" is used.  Can
a CAP profile be a subset of CAP?  If not, then this commonly understood use
for a profile needs to be clarified.  If yes, then how is this accomplished?

--
jake@jpw.biz