emergency-cap-profiles message

Subject: Re: [emergency-cap-profiles] mimeType encoding

I'd suggest the following substitute for the last sentence:  "The Profiles SC recommends that a single format should be selected for each media type (eg. audio) and delivery format (file or streaming) and that encodings available under open licenses be given preference over proprietary formats.  In particular the Profiles SC suggests the 'speex' and 'theora' encodings developed by the Xiph.Org Foundation for consideration.  The MIME types 'x-ipaws-audio', 'x-ipaws-streaming-audio', 'x-ipaws-video' and 'x-ipaws-streaming-video' should be used to designate the selected encodings."

I'm not sure it's up to us to specify who should make that choice or by what process.  But I do think it might be prudent to offer a constructive suggestion.

- Art

Art Botterell, Manager
Community Warning System
Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff
50 Glacier Drive
Martinez, California 94553
(925) 313-9603
fax (925) 646-1120

>>> Jacob Westfall <jake@jpw.biz> 5/28/2009 1:21 PM >>>
Hi,
	I'm submitting some language for the mimeType format IPAWS profile comments.  Not sure if its the direction the group decided on, or if it over-reaches, I don't know, but something to start with.

"The Profiles SC has identified several concerns regarding the encoding of EAS broadcast content based on public review feedback.  Proprietary encoding formats necessitating licencing being included in an open standard, the burden placed on implementers of supporting multiple encoding formats for a single media type, and the concern about the authoritativeness of multiple encoding formats present in the same message are all important considerations.  The Profiles SC has determined that one mimeType for each media type (eg. audio) should be established with the selection of that media's encoding format, preferably a non-proprietary one, being an implementation decision by the IPAWS program office in consultation with the ECIG."

--
jake@jpw.biz