emergency-cap-profiles message

Subject: CAP-AP Task 1 - Additional information to support your review of the CAP-AP Discussion Paper

CAP Profiles SC Members,

Thanks for your time today (8th Apr) to discuss the CAP-AP Task 1 and Task 3 activities.

I feel I need to provide you with some additional information about the Task 1 Discussion Paper to explain why it currently contains unfinished sections.

The document you are now reviewing is a collation of the following:
1) an original Discussion Paper developed in Sep 2010 that was largely based on the CAP Canadian Profile structure and content;
2) corrections stemming from review of the original Discussion Paper by Australian CAP Stakeholders that was conducted in Oct - Dec 2010, and
3) new information that I derived from the IPAWS requirements document that Sukumar provided me a few weeks ago.

The document is a work in progress, which means there are unfinished sections highlighted in the document and the flow of information in Sections 1.x and 2.x may not yet be as logical or informative as it could be - I will be continuing to work on this and correct the typos and grammatical issues. The section 1.3.b related to flow charts is unlikely to be retained in the final version as I don't currently believe it is necessary to describe the Australian environment to that level of detail when there are already numerous implementations of CAPv1.1 operating throughout Australia.

Accordingly, can you please look beyond these omissions if possible and seek to focus on identifying any major elements that you think might need to be considered in the CAP Australian Profile.

Your inputs by the 29th of April will inform the final content of the document that I aim to be releasing to the Australian CAP Stockholders in May 2011 for their review.

Secondly, I wanted to elaborate on why we are calling this document both a "standard" and a "Profile".  I will be referring to the CAP-AP as a Profile whenever I talk with OASIS people and will be referring to the same document as a standard whenever I speak with the Australian CAP Stakeholders, as the standards connotation is one that I need to continue to emphasise in Australia.  Please let me know if this situation will create any problems.

Regards,

Greg Trott
CAP-AP Project Manager