Subject: Re: Checksum or Digital Identifier for SchemaDownloads

Re: the RIM SC discussion about providing a checksum or other
digital identifier for schemas and other machine-readable
formal language definition files [1] ...

This requirement has been discussed in other TCs, sometimes
in connection with digital signature technologies that
are part of OASIS formal specifications themselves.

In July 2009 I documented this user requirement as part of
a document management system design effort (yet to be
implemented), so I am sympathetic to the need for
certainty that a schema or other machine-readable file
is indeed authentic, untampered...

The ZIP format [2] itself provides a 32-bit CRC, which
offers some assurance for schemas that have been uploaded
to the OASIS Library as approved Work Products.  We
usually try to provide ZIP archives for the schema file
collections, and in any case, we provide a ZIP file that
matches each Work Product release: all files thus have
a 32-bit CRC with respect to their final published form in
the Library. See the example for the EMIX TC's spec [3]

But I would understand if there are additional requirements.

One consideration is the management of schemas with
respect to the OASIS policy which requires a Copyright
Notice.  In many cases, the TC Administration provides
an appropriate Copyright Notice for schemas.  I includes
the specification title, publication date, URI reference
(source), maturity level, and the copyright statement
proper.  See below at [4] for an example.  Since any
such editing to incorporate a Copyright Notice changes
the hash/digest/CRC, this needs to be factored into
the requirements for an implementation.

I feel sure that the TC Admin team and other OASIS
Staff will be happy to work with written requirements and
suggestions for implementation(s) that would meet the
needs of the RIM SC and other OASIS groups.  Just
let me know.

- Robin

Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services
Editor, Cover Pages and XML Daily Newslink
Email: robin@oasis-open.org
Staff bio: http://www.oasis-open.org/people/staff/robin-cover
Cover Pages: http://xml.coverpages.org/
Newsletter: http://xml.coverpages.org/newsletterArchive.html
Tel: +1 972-296-1783

============ References:

[1] emergency-rim Subcommittee on checksum or digital identifier
    for schemas

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/emergency-rim/201109/msg00007.html