Subject: Re: [emergency] The Modularization of CAP?

On Jun 14, 2004, at 8:29 PM, Art Botterell wrote:

> We actually flirted with this approach in the earlier ICS-201
> experiment... as I recall, reusing CAP elements and structures was
> surprisingly controversial at that time... but it seemed to work out
> OK in that very limited application.  Personally, I think it's a good
> idea, with one caviat:
>
> The obvious risk is that, having created a reasonably successful
> mouse, we might turn it into an unsatisfactory elephant though the
> familiar processes of 'creeping featuritis.'  Whatever elegance and
> efficiency the CAP design has now stems largely, IMHO, from its clear
> focus on interoperability of alert messages.  It was never intended or
> designed to be the singular answer to all emergency interoperability
> needs.

Point well taken, and I agree completely with what your statement is
protecting. Regardless of what we do, be it anything with
modularization or even the next version, the net result must be a
simple and easy to use markup language that stays true to its purpose.

> Maybe we'd be smart to frame this as a second, distinct project... a
> "Common Emergency Coordination Language," say... starting with such
> modules as can be abstracted from CAP, but with its own explicit set
> of objectives and requirements.  Then, once CECL is framed, we can see
> whether CAP 2.0 can be implemented efficiently as a CECL profile.

Ok - I follow that as well. Can you elaborate just a touch more on this
though? I have a mental picture/definition of what a coordination
language and/or profile is, but I want to make sure we are using those
terms in the same way.

> Meanwhile... since as Rex points out, this could be a lengthy
> process... we could iterate CAP in the 1.x series if necessary to
> address any urgent requirements identified by the user community.
> Hopefully such upgrades would be designed with an eye to where CECL is
> headed.

Completely agree with this, which is why I suggested it
(modularization, CECL, or whatever) as a separate focus group/effort.
Don't want to disrupt 1.x at all.