Subject: Progress on Common Types

Hello:

  For those interested, the members of the Infrastructure Framework, Messages and Notifications, and RIM Subcommittees have agreed to use their telecons over the next 3 weeks to complete the schema and documentation for the following common components: (1) Common Types (Initial Schema: Don McGarry  Editor: Werner Joerg); (2) CIQ Profile (Initial Schema: Don McGarry, Editor: TBD); and (3) SimpleFeatures Profile (Planned Schema & Editor: Evolution Technologies Inc.).

If you are interested in following this work, please join us at the Messages and Notifications subcommittee meeting next Tuesday. Also some details on the Common Types documentation is provided below. Thanks.

--Jeff Waters

I added in data dictionary components for the common types into the draft Common Types spec template in Section 3, which is posted at http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/emergency-if/download.php/41291/edxl-ct-v1.0-wd01-JW-1.odt. I based this on the EDXL_Common_Types_ver03.xsd schema contained in the zip file uploaded by Don to the IF documents Requirements folder on December 13, 2010. (http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/emergency-if/download.php/40572/DE_2.0_DraftSchema_v3.zip -- Note that this zip file also contains the set of schema representing the CIQ profile.)  This is the same schema that I used in the examples that I created in the zip file one day later (http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/emergency-if/download.php/40578/DE_2.0_schema_ver3.0_HAVE_Examples.zip).

  There are some issues which we may want to consider. One is that the "type" names don't end with the extension "Type".  Also most of the components are "types", not elements, so the format for the data dictionary items may need some adjustment from our normal specifications. Also I tried to create individual component examples and I realize there may be reasons for moving these toward the end of the document.

That leaves the SimpleFeatures profile. One consideration is whether the GeoRSS profile which I included in my examples zip file is an option. It seems to have circle.