Subject: namespaces, what they point to, and the ER TC

The current discussion in xml-dev is moving in a direction which I
would like to see the ER work go, namely having some way of
saying not only what the namespace URI (when used as a name)
points at in terms of an address URI, but also some way of saying
what's at the other end.

A proposal from Simon St Laurent[1], based on suggestions from
several people, is to use xlink for this with the role attribute saying
what is at the other end (schema, DTD, CSS stylesheet, etc). I
think this functionality is worth putting in the ER. I have no opinion
at this stage as to a suitable syntax, apart from it being XML.

The entire discussion on xml-dev is somewhat long.

[1] http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200012/msg00725.html

Any comments on this? Am I the only person interested in this
functionality in this TC?