Subject: Deaf Matters

Hi Darren.
I think this is a very good point to bring up, and even further for the accessibility initiatives in general.

I was just thinking that things related to accessibility may fit in the HumanML. I don't have particularly great examples yet, but certainly, "deaf", "can't hear", "blind", "color blind" etc  *may* fit in here and if not there shoudl certainly be consideration for it. My difficulty just now is trying to think of exactly what would *be* in HumanML and that is mainly because i only started looking into it yesterday :)

Anyone have any thoughts?

cheers,
Steven

Steven Livingstone,
Author Pro XML 2e and others.
http://www.deltabis.com

-----Original Message-----
From: sarcasmo@fuse.net [mailto:sarcasmo@fuse.net]
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 9:58 AM
To: humanmarkup-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

Hello.  This may be an unusual request.

I find the concept of HumanML interesting, and it led me to wonder
if any discussions about Deaf users (such as myself) has appeared
on the lists.  I say 'unusual', because American Sign Language, (ASL)
for one, is not textually based.  However, I am sick and tired of the
Deaf never being accounted for, either.  I've joked about coming
up with an RFC-like outline for DeafML or ASLML (or maybe mildly
threatened) in the past.

Any thoughts?  Should I just bring this issue to the commitee?

P.S. I did do a search through the 'htdig' form on your archive
site with the keywords 'deaf', 'Deaf', and 'American Sign Language'
and got zippo returns.

Thanks for taking the time to read my letter.

~darren