Subject: Re: Deaf Matters 2.0

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Kurt Cagle wrote:

> Darren,
>
> Take a look at the RDF section of the W3C. There was an article there on an
> RDF mechanism for converting graphical SVG content into text, which I found
> kind of intriguing at the time, at http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG-access/
>
> -- Kurt
>

> > So, what to do?  Iconic representation? Mapping common ASL signs through
> > an DTD or XML construct to embedded graphics?  I fear that I may be too
> > stupid to come up with an alternative.  All I know, is that I should not
> > expect to have some sort of 'broken' or 'pidgin' written language as the
> > base and even hope for the best.  I must break with tradition.  It just
> > seems to me than HumanML could be a 'base' to build on.  I don't know.
> >
> > Just a thawt.
> >
> > ~darren

Sure, I've actually heard of vector based graphics before.  Definitely
more robust than .jpg or other that tend to 'fly-apart' when being
rendered or forced to display at higher resolutions.

/me thinks that it's a positive (+) thing, SVG.  Application use in
discussed method? (shrug). Again, dunno.  Mapping signs to graphics,
I fear would be too slow.  Short of coming up with inconic representations
of signs, but then again, might as well come up with an icon for
everything, since all people can associate a picture with the associative
meaning to them, mostly, save for cultural context.

Sigh. My brain hurts. :)

~darren