Subject: RE: HumanMarkup Reservations

Oh not ignoring that aspect.  There were several
threads pleading with some of the contributors
to scope down the claims to reasonable goals.
It took us awhile to figure out what was reasonable,
but the personal need to get press attention is something
of a disease.  I only council not to spend
inordinate amounts of time on slashdot and other
kibitzing lists trying to defend this.  I am
an entertainer and a media person as well.
The problem is you can spend a lot of time
arguing with critics instead of rehearsing.
Lots of work to do and the longer it takes,
the more likely it is to founder.  If folks
are really interested, tell them they should
pick up a pike and hit the front lines.

There is a very good article called Semiotics
for Beginners by Daniel Chandler out on the
web.  I used it to get a handle on some of the
concepts.  If you like, I can also send you
a text file of unedited notes and abstracts
from these.  There weren't published because
they are unattributed but make good reading
if you just need a Jolt cola sort of read.

I also have to credit or blame Eliot Kimber
for pointing me in the direction of semiotics
as a relevant topic.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.