Subject: RE: [humanmarkup] food for thought

HyTime grew out of music work and there have been
different efforts to use SGML and musical notation
systems.  MIDI being essentially control information
to a synthethizer for patches, GM instruments,
expression parameters, etc. could certainly be
XMLized.  The contribution of that to HumanML
seems scarce though, so I'm sure where that goes.

In the genre example, I borrowed <par> and <seq>
from SMIL 1.0 to demonstrate nesting of chronemic
information to describe actions.  It is one
of those overlaps in that scheduling
is vital to almost any simulation or analysis
of time-based information.  If you examine
the interpolation components of VRML, you
see similar concepts for key frame-based animation.

A problem of HumanML will be to decide just
what is high level information and what should
be added in by transformation given that the
downtranslation target will have it's own
representations the closer one gets to the
implementation objects.   EMOTE has very
interesting concepts for shaping the motions
of an animated character using a level that
seems to be between what HumanML has described
and what H-anim might use.  I am unsure if this
is middleware data or goes in HumanML or H-anim.  I am
inclined to think it is a middleware dataset
in which HumanML uses a simple intensity value
to scale an emotion, an EMOTE engine target
gets that and creates a more detailed LMA
based dataset, then the final rendering in
say H-anim or SVG is created.  Hard to say
and other opinions on that would be appreciated.

My concern is mostly that HumanML stay high level
and very easy to use so that the derived languages
get most of the work and the HumanML is repurposable.
Even as we look at domains, we have to ask ourselves
first what the role of HumanML is quite precisely
in the abstraction layer.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.