Subject: Re: &

This thread raising DAML+OIL was reassuring to see in this context, and Sean's
added ref. to WebONT.

I confess that it's easier to go forward with  a few embarrassing "can you
explains" (as you'll find below) after having duly tried to RTFM, than to lurk
in partially informed silence.  Hence, I'll be the guy who was sleeping when
the teacher gave the assignment and digress with a few points, begging folks'
indulgence.

A couple of simple questions, some acronymical:

"Sean B. Palmer" wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> HumanML can use DAML (and whatever WebONT produce) as a language for
> defining taxonomies, data models, languages, or whatever else you want to
> call them. DAML isn't quite as powerful as a FOPL, but it is good enough
> for appplications like EARL (which indeed only uses a fraction of what DAML
> has to offer), so it will be good enough for HumanML.

Which EARL (the second one?):
EARL  Electronic Audit Research Log
EARL Enhanced Address Recognition Logic

Which FOPL?
FOPL Forty-One Hundred Port Log (USCG)
FOPL Frequency of Primary Line

> But DAML alone isn't the only specification that we can utilise to our
> advantage. DAML itself is built on top of RDF Schema, and RDF Model and
> Syntax. RDF Schema provides simple terms for classing and prototyping
> languages... it's the most basic level of schema available on the Semantic
> Web.

And this makes better design sense, to build upon those standards "classes"
which multiple ontologies can inherit and extend, e.g. RDF Schema & Model, and
derive the resulting association of the respective ontologies (DC, other KM
stuff, whatever) is syntactically enabled from the design foundation, rather
than back-mapped at the mere semantic level.

> We should also be prepared to have to invent our own ontology, proof, and
> trust languages. The cool thing about the Semantic Web is that there is no

Following above, this would furnish the HumanML syntax matrix for inherited
and extending ontologies.

> one central authority or set of specifications that really define how you
> must use it. Obviously, we have to agree on soem very simple things, like
> using RDF, but beyond that, you can do pretty much whatever you want. It
> gives one the power to say anything about anything. Of course, the offset
> is that you have to be careful how you develop things. There are some neat
> Semantic Web hints and tips that can only really be learned from doing, and
> that often involves messing it up once or twice. I'm currently in the
> process of writing down some of these hints and tips.

Will these hints and tips be made available to this list and/or the net?

> Another thing to note is that RDF doesn't have any initial concept of what
> a namespace is, and it doesn't require it. It uses namespaces in the syntax
> to form URIs in the models, but neither the QNames or the namespaces are
> preserved in the model. That isn't to say that they can't be represented in
> the model, just that on converting the serialization to the model, the
> namespaces vanish.

I did think I understood QName and local name resolution for namespaces (at
least from the XSLT and XPath perspective of addressing and transforming
them), and so I'm having to confess a little uncertainty about which "model"
you mean the namespace/QName is not preserved in . . . the DOM?  That doesn't
make easy sense either b/c QName, local name and namespace (as an @ value) are
addressable nodes.  So, as noted above, I'm gonna go ahead and be the "duh,
um, uh - I don't get this" guy on this list.

tyia,

jr