Subject: Identity and Communicating Systems

Let's look at this topic individually since the Passport system
has been mentioned.

Any identity is a systemically realized quality.  Outside a system
of identification that enables unique record identification, identity
is a meaningless concept.   You are all familiar with the IETF/WWW
system based on well-formed strings and maps to Internet nodes octets.
Most of us are familiar with the application of these in other
systems such as XML namespaces.   For now, I assert that this concept
of identity is outside the scope of HumanML as it is only by choosing
a system of application that such identity qualities have practical value.
The qualities of human attributes applied with such a system-realized
means to identify a thing, object, resources, etc. is within the scope.
We need to identify such qualities, but the system identifiers are not
in scope except insofar as application design is concerned.

For example, here is a data transaction description of human attributes
used to describe an arrestee for the purpose of booking the individual.

Field Name			Data Type    	Size     	Status

PDID number			Integer		2		Optional
Arrestee Name(given	String		35		Mandatory
at time of arrest)
Date of Birth		Date			1		Mandatory
Sex (gender)		Boolean		1		Mandatory
Race				String		15		Mandatory
Arrestee Address		String		50		Mandatory
(given at time of
arrest)
Social Security Number	Integer		2		Optional
Nickname/Alia		String		20		Optional
Place of Birth		String		30		Optional
Male/Female			Boolean		1		Optional
Impersonator
Height			Integer		2		Mandatory
Weight			Integer		2		Mandatory
Hair Color			String		10		Mandatory
Eye Color			String		10		Mandatory
Complexion			String		10		Mandatory

We don't have to discuss the actual implementation (eg, that
colors are enumerated codes, or name is better broken into
first middle last, etc).   We can see because it is optional
that the PDID is an indexing number not a primary key because
it is optional.  It is likely such a primary key exists but
specifically because the system generates it, it is not included
in the data transaction design.  The SSN deserves attention because
it is a global identifier from a larger system gathered by this
record for other operations (eg, partially to help resolve
identity and otherwise to assist with financial transactions
such as taxes while incarcerated).

The question:

How many of these are used to identify a person in the process
of being arrested and incarcerated?

All of them.  Verification of identity uses all of these because
it is expected that the arrestee will attempt to conceal their
identity to the process.  As a result, sometimes the wrong people
are charged, the wrong records forwarded, people are even executed.
This is what is typically referred to as a name table and is part of the
record of the person's involvement in the system.  It is tied by a
master name index to other records for the overall agency system.

It uses multiple systems of identification to ensure that the human
identified is the human named (note these are separate concepts) to ensure
that any process applied to the human named at the location found is the
human identified.  The IETF conflates these concepts for the purpose
of unifying the Internet, but any other system must handle that conflation
and
therefore, it is outside the scope of HumanML if HumanML is to be useful
for any other system.   This data is passed between two different and
non-integrated systems as a means of performing the act of identification
for the agencies engaged in that acts of arrest and incarceration.  (Note:
These are real systems but not my company's systems.  I use this example
because it is simple and makes the points about identification as process
within communicating systems.)  I don't want to solve the problems of
Passport or offer alternatives as part of the HumanML project.  On the
other hand, HumanML must be able to be used by such systems and its basis
in XML enables that, so we don't have to do anything special.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h