Subject: RE: HM.Frameworks: Physical Description

In reverse order:  yes I posted after putting up the draft Schema fragments
that measurements were an issue.  Most systems use a naming system
then map that to a specific measurement system for conversions.  In one
of Grubner's articles, he mentions the principle of least ontological commitment.
There is also the old saw that one should not store anything that can be
calculated, but ...  All world maps have the problem of picking coordinate systems
and mapping these to local naming systems.

Understand, a correlative mechanism is fine as long as we can show an
application example that makes sense to a customer.  Correlatives among
schemas and topic maps have a lot in common.   That's fine.

But before we do that, I am playing devil's advocate.  We
have a certain amount of work to do coming up and we should ask when
we are debating mechanisms of language if it is time yet, or is it preference.
Where we have a customer (say Albeck for hypothetical), we should be
looking at that material and asking what we provide.   It would be useful
to look at EMOTE and comment.     For public safety,
were I your customer, I would ask questions relevant to that domain.
You will find there are some analytical systems in that domain that
may use probabilities and strength measures.   Others use strict
comparison and depend on human authority because of the requirements
of contesting assertions and the results of that.   The more we
try to make this a Semantic Web app, the further behind we are
likely to get on deliverable, IMO.  Why?  Because the Semantic
Web is work in progress too and though laudable, churning.
Schemas are basically a done deal.  They have issues but that
doesn't slow us down.  RDF is a done deal, right?  So in terms
of tools, que bueno.

Now, if Physical Description is the current candidate for a data module,
we need at the very minimum to provide some delimiters about how
deep that goes.  Are we defining deep enough for identification
(a fairly shallow set), or for medical systems (possibly deeper
than we can go soon).  The obvious candidates can be roped in very quickly
and these become information to use in the next set of examples.
That way, our example reflect work done and decisions made and
we don't have to use imaginary sets.   One might say that is
the Extreme Programming approach:  we posit something that
might work and integrate every week.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com