Subject: RE: HM.Frameworks: Physical Description

I agree that we need some kind of fuzzy logic. However, in certain cases it would be crazy. It would clearly therefore have to be optional.

I would use it in something like:

<personalInfo>
 <hair Likeness="percent" UpperBound="red" LowerBound="Fair" LikenessVal="76" />
</personalInfo>

and not in something else like:

<personalInfo>
 <age likeness="exact">123</age>
</personalInfo>

These aren't EXACTLY how i would do it - how the heck do we detemine the actualy benchmark for physical chracteristics? I guess sometimes it is relative!!

<personalInfo>
 <hair Likeness="percent" UpperBound="idref to some hair element" LowerBound="idref to some other hair element" LikenessVal="76" />
</personalInfo>

(actually i just wrote this 4 different ways and can't decide, so i will just leave it the way it is :) - a lot of work to be done)
But i think some "fuzziness" is required in cases.
Another i would mention happened to me today when I was asked to neter information on a survey. Most of the questions asked me to rate between 1 and 10 - the same kind of fuziess i guess.

<surveyInfo>
 <Q5 Likeness="point" UpperBound="10" LowerBound="1" LikenessVal="6" />
</surveyInfo>

Anyway, just a thought.

Steven Livingstone,
Author Pro XML 2e and others.