Subject: Re: Profiling in the News: Was: RE: Taxonomies, URN's etc..

At 5:44 PM +0100 8/29/01, Sean B. Palmer wrote:
>  > 3.  The internet is only one system with respect to identifiers.
>>  Name and location are not converging because all systems
>>  are not internet systems.   URIs aren't universal.
>
>I vehemently disagree; anything that can have identity can be mapped into
>URI space, whether network retrievable or not. There are many myths behind
>URIs that need exploding, but the non-universal one is probably the
>largest.
>
>I agree that sometimes it is better to talk about something using their
>properties rather than a single node, but you can't tell me that this rules
>out any form of skolemization. That's absurd. If you can talk about it in
>language, then you can talk about it using URIs.
>
>>  4.  The uniqueifying system has to attach it's own identifying
>>  system to use HumanML or any dataset.  That is why there is an
>>  SSN in there and a PDID.  Neither are HumanML datatypes.
>>  Nor is a URI.  The URI only comes up because RDF depends on it.
>>  That is a weakness of RDF.
>
>This is a common misconception. RDF depends on neither URIs or URI
>references, it depends upon resources. These resource do not necessarily
>have to be identified within a system, e.g. they could be unlabelled
>existentially quantified (anonymous) nodes.

I shared the misconception. didn't know this. Isn't URI dependence a
sort of practical necessity, though? Thinking of a resource as a node
with a set of properties is something I'm gonna havta ponder. I
really thought we just went there to get a subject, object or verb,
did our work and moved on.

>The process of identifying resources on the Semantic Web is made easier by
>using URI references, but it is also useful to talk about some resource as
>an existentially quantified node using a set of proerties that relate to
>it... some of which may be unambiguous, either individually, or when used
>as a combination of properties.
>
>RDF does have weaknesses (of course), but it is wholly incorrect to level
>this one at it.

Okay...Duh? Feeling adrift here. A resource that's a node in itself
with a buncha properties...