Subject: RE: HM.interactions: initial questions

As a layer, a human object chooses choices.

Basic Shannon:  "The fundamental problem of
communication is that of reproducing at one
point either exactly or approximately a
message selected at another point.  Frequently
the messages have meaning; that is they refer
to or are correlated according to some system
with certain physical or conceptual entities.
These semantic messages are irrelevant to the
engineering problem.  The significant aspect is
that the actual message is one selected from a
set of possible messages."

Each layer is selecting messages and possibly
transforming them for the next layer.  This
isn't rocket science.  HumanML has to be the
human layer and for that to work, we deal with
the kinds of information that humans select
and put into human channels.  That is why so
much of the phase 0 work has revolved around
isolating out the issues of human channels.

The web is just plumbing.  SOAP is just a
slightly more elaborate RPC for services.
WSDL describes a service.  UDDI is just
an ad for a service.  The SW is a single
system for expressing ontological constructs
to layer over this (really,  a DARPA project
but that is the W3C choice, not ours).

Reconsider the scenario of the dog, the girl
and the lamppost.  If she were advertising,
what would the boy and girl observing them
see?  How does a hooker advertise services?

The example seems ludicrous but it is real
and it exemplifies a real problem of a discovery
based system:  learning to interpret signals,
symbols and signs in a context (message selection
for the purpose of interpretation and reacting).
Gestalt has theories about this.  Cognitive
psychology has theories about this.  Zen
has theories about this.  Ralph Nader has
theories about this.   Could each of these
take HumanML and express their theory in a
single system?

That is the *main issue* of this initiative:
can one create human objects (HumanML consumers)
that inform real human or machine choices?

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h