Subject: Case in Point-Islamic Fundmentalism Revisited

I was somewhat pleased with the responses to my first post on this
thread. The path into dynamic schemas that includes a better
understanding of viewpoint is a development I applaud. I suspect that
in the days ahead, it will yield fruit.

The example concerning the Sikh culture from the xml-dev list was
very germane to the point I was trying to make.

However, there is still no specific response from someone of or from
the Islamic Fundamentalist  culture itself who has stepped forward to
communicate about their concerns directly. Of course, that is
entirely understandable, since betraying any personal information,
including a fictitious email address, would make anyone so
self-identified a target of suspicion at the very least. However, I
was hoping that we might hear from someone with first hand knowledge
of the culture, if only as an observer.

This makes my point, nevertheless. We are dealing with a vacuum of
accurate information. Now I am going to say something very disturbing
and repugnant, but true. If we don't get communication going with
these people in language channels, in as close to an anonymous forum
as this, the only kind of communication we are going to receive is
the kind we received last Tuesday, and, like it or not, THAT was
communication.

Unfortunately, the only information we are gleaning from that
communication is the rubble at ground zero as the site of the
catastrophe has come to be called, and the information being turned
up by the FBI, CIA and NSA, and, of course, the media, whose
information is often both more accurate and timely.

There is the problem. Our leaders are attempting to formulate a plan
of action in a new kind of war, called such because that is all we
can make of this very tragic communication which does make one thing
clear. Bin Laden has said so himself in so many words, if we can
believe media reports. They want and mean to kill every American,
despite what the cleric from Afghanistan on poor quality videotape is
quoted as saying their desire to just kill Bush and Congress.

It seems foolish for me to characterize Islamic Fundamentalist
culture, but lacking direct information, all I can do is that, and
couch my observations in exactly that kind of admittedly incomplete
and biased characterization. Yet, I think I have discovered a couple
of gems of information in the dross we have been inundated with in
these last few days. I can't take credit for these observations, I
heard them in PBS coverage today. It struck me as very likely. And it
stands after Occam's Razor has sliced up most other explanations.

Concept: Islamic Fundamentalism doesn't really hate what America and
all of modern Western Technological Culture DOES in terms of national
politics, despite what a lot of people say about this or that policy.
I do not think it is our support of Israel, or the oppression of the
Palestinians that they hate. A full blown Palestinian State could be
declared with huge amounts of American aid and support tomorrow, and
Islamic Fundamentalists, I believe, would still hate us and still try
to kill us all. I don't think lifting the sanctions on Iraq would
make any difference. I don't believe anything we could do would
change their incredibly stupid agenda, because they don't hate what
we do, but what WE ARE--a modern, pluralistic, technological society
that will never adopt a medieval culture such as they desire.

Worse yet, they simply don't understand that nothing can bring about
the kind of world they think they want. It didn't happen in Iran, and
it won't happen in Afghanistan. And worst of all, I don't think even
Osama Bin Laden and the Taliban even understand what they think they
want. They just look around them and everywhere they see Western
culture, in the form materialistic products, dress and imitative
behaviors and all they know how to do is hate THAT.

I would love to be wrong. Nothing would make me happier, because no
war on terrorism is going to do anything but make this worse. And no
amount of killing will deter one new terrorist martyr.

However, if we can get them to talk, maybe they could prove me wrong,
or maybe it won't make any difference. Maybe nothing short of a
religious transformation among their leaders will make a difference.

  I wish I knew.

W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com
Email: rexb@starbourne.com
Tel: 510-849-2309