Subject: Re: RDF In XSD [was: Re: HM.Requirement: authority]

> We've seen XSD elements used along with RDF(S)/DAML+OIL
> (actually, i think I spotted this on the DAML website), to combine
> schemata of both syntax and meaning, [...]

Well kinda... but not in the way that you're probably thinking. XSD is just
used in DAML to create datatypes, and not any form of markup structure. The
RDF Model and Syntax specification provides the structure of RDF, not XML
Schema... M&S had to use a BNF syntax, because XML Schema simply isn't
expressive enough. People are constantly trying to "combine" XML Schema and
RDF Schema to form some weird but powerful mix of technologies, without
realising that RDF already has an inherent and well defined structure.
There is no need for XML Schema or any other syntax constraining language
in RDF, except to provide datatypes (and even then, XML Schema is only used
minimally).

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer