Subject: RE: Functional Requirements

I took Carol off the CC so we won't innundate her
in a technical exchange.  If she wants this info,
otoh, forward to her and let me know.

Here is a bit more grist.   The basic call/response paradigm
of real time communication is similar across systems.
Basic event processing and real time response can be
described as:

An event/message is received at a node.

1.  Identify the node type (eg, is this a call for a service?)

For example, display a drop down list of choices of events that can
be received at this node.  List must have a description of each
event type that aids selection.  User might enter partial or
invalid information so system validates and can fill in default
information for an event of that type.  It is possible that the
event can only be partially identified so system provides a
temporary or alias event type which is later rectified to the
actual event type given more information.

2.  Create an event record (event code, systemID, details of
event, current status) in the receiving system.

3.  Based on the selection of the event type, the event record
is sent to a process/person/role node which handles events of that
type.

4  On receipt of this record, the record is rendered for
use by the receiving node.  On receipt, the system can display
options/procedures for use by the receiving node given the
specifics for the received record (code plus details).  It
can display other context information as well such as location
of event.   On such a display, mapping technology is applied
to enable the receiver to filter the displayed information, eg,
the usable resources for the response.

5.  Received event codes are prioritized by type.  This priority
can be overridden at the receiving node with appropriate authority,
credentials, and the capability to select the reason for this action
(traceability).  Given a current status, information such as the
event progress is provided (eg, event complete, in-progress, etc).
Status codes are used with appropriate defaults that can be overridden
by the receiving node.

6.  Receiving node may need to elicit more information, so begins a
series of call/responses to the sender.  For example, additional
identification and description details:

o  Caller's name
o  Caller's location
o  Caller's phone number
o  Narrative
o  Descriptions of other objects at location of event,
   their roles, their descriptive detail
o  How call is made (medium)

This information must be recordable in any order received,
is also code-driven where possible, and enables partial
collection.

7.  Receiving node selects action type to respond.  Selects
resources to be used for the response and schedules their
use including the ability to set up a pattern of response
(eg, recurring response by schedule or random initiation)

8.  Event information is made available to other systems
not engaged in real time response, or in some cases, the
receiving node acts only as a means to collect information
and the actual selection of response is delegated to a
different node.

9  Feedback and update is incorporated to enable information
gathered in real time to be corrected.

Essentially, the process is similar or recursive among most
communication node types in a system of communicating nodes.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h