Subject: RE: markup race

First I will reply to Volker, and then to Manos.

Volker: You should read more thoroughly before jumping to
conclusions. I do not wish to deflect any honest interest you might
have in our work because anthropology is a ripe arena for HumanML,
and I do not want to present an impression that we reject the
interests of anyone, let alone someone from a discipline which is
directly within our purview.

That said, you do yourself a disservice by not investigating further
before levelling criticism that is aimed at a misperception of your
own making. This is  precisely what the mission statement, "The aim
is to enhance FIDELITY of human communication."  means. We want to
HELP avoid or reduce miscommunication. We are not offering any sort
of panacea, nor are we attempting to end world hunger, achieve
immanent world peace or any such mischaracterization of our goals or
ideals, either. Neither will we shrink from that idealism, nor from
uncomfortable concepts such as race which so deform our world.

First you take a concept, race,  that is thoroughly discredited, as
you point out, but which is currently used however discredited it is
and which must, therefore, be accounted for in order for our work to
be applicable in the real world as it is rather than as we would wish
it to be, and you criticize us for ALLEGEDLY using it. All of our
code is currently in very early draft example stage, and as such, is
experimental and for the purpose of experimentation only. Your
criticism is noted. As Manos pointed out, there is no HumanML yet.

We had our FIRST official OASIS Technical Committee meeting yesterday
after seven (7) months of determined work. We invite you to join our
effort if you are sincerely interested in accomplishing a useable
improvement in the FIDELITY of human communication. As you note,
there is no shortage of work to be done, and done as well as we can
possibly do it. We need your help. And humanity needs all the help it
can get.

Manos: The public comments list is the appropriate place for such
inquiries as this, and that is what this is, I believe, an inquiry in
the form of a criticism. Work is being conducted here as well,
although voting and private TC business is reserved for the TC list.
Right now that is the best way to proceed. So work is going to have
to be carefully threaded, that is, work should be done through
responding to specfic threads, and not changing Subject Lines unless
we move away from a work topic.

Please note: You are still a Prospective Member of the TC and will be
a voting member in 60days with or without being able to attend TC
meetings and thereby  meeting the roll call requirement. Since you
were an original member, it may well be construed that you are
already a full TC member since a great deal more than 60 days of
involvement with this effort has passed.

For our International Members/participants: If we can arrange an
acceptable,verifiably  loggable, open, publicly available chat venue
for our meetings so as to accommodate our international members
instead of monetarily penalizing them by requiring a long-distance
telephone call-in, however inadvertently, we will. Otherwise we will
have to find a way to provide funding for international call-ins to
our teleconference meetings. The good news is that the teleconference
concept was proved out yesterday quite handily.

We have already changed the time of our meetings to the Third
Wednesday of the Month at 12:00 Noon Eastern Time or 7:00 p.m. GMT.
This alone should help, and we will proceed from there.

Thanks,
Rex