Subject: RE: markup race

Given this from Cavalli:

"To a very superficial examination, races exist, in the sense that some
groups of individuals are distinguishable and relatively uniform for a few
superficial traits."

he notes the use that is common in database systems that rely on
observable physical characteristics for identification (again, an
issue likely to bedevil HumanML is the applications to identification
systems because they are at the core, a means to isolate by
category).

If we retain race codes for reasons of interoperation with existing
systems, we should clearly describe the application or semantic
of the code as one of identification based on observable physical
characteristics and note that this does not infer any other genetic
or cultural trait.  Such relationships could be declared under
stereotypes where the modeling is clearly artificial.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h