Subject: RE: LegalEntity Class (Was: Re: HumanML_Write: Several responses andsome reflection....)

Title: LegalEntity Class (Was: Re: HumanML_Write: Several res
I suggest that if the UML models are to be pursued as a design tool, these will have to
be the main focus, not the schemas or RDF or any software under development.  The
reason is of course that UML is purported to be a conceptual model from which other
implementation mappings can be made.   That's the theory.  The dilemma is that
these can easily be considered as object-oriented designs, not data designs as
we discovered in Phase 0.

We did a few rounds of discussion in Phase 0 on this subject, but now that there
are fresh members with different backgrounds, this should be revisited.  The approach
from the Schemas perspective is to create a set of types that can be toolkits for
creating HumanML documents/messages.   For this to work, they have to be
usable by any implementation of the UML conceptual layers.  A schema, per se,
is not a class design though one can construe that by considering abstract
types as class definitions, but even then, these really are document designs
or a way to define a namespace of markup that can be added into an existing
document namespace.   Today, the schema draft collects types from the
semiotics field (eg, signs, symbols, etc. for describing meaningfulness
and some categories for environment, chronemics, proxemics, as well
as gestural types (haptics)) and a hodge of identification types or surface
characteristics.   These are useful but there is no implication about the
implementation or processing of these.   However, without some very
explicit notion of how HumanML markup is to be used, I think we have a
disconnect between the Schemas and the UML.   That means, architecturally,
we are in the weeds and are talking around each other.

Comments from the list members are solicited on this subject.

len