Subject: RE: Open Identity

This is a useful discussion, and I'm glad to have it. If you have
followed the Liberty Alliance links sufficiently, then you have some
idea of what the federated identity notion is, and this happens to
correspond closely to a discussion that has been taking place
somewhat behind the scenes, that is, not officially, but for
informational purposes with a co-chair of the xml.gov working group.

I'm not in love with any governmental agency or  any major
corporation or coalition of such corporations taking the lead in this
effort, and coming from California, and knowing where the money trail
of Bank of America leads (to North Carolina and very centralized
interests), and having watched Larry Ellison volunteer to give the
government the tools for implementing a national ID card database, I
am deeply concerned to see any such effort led by any of our
erstwhile rich uncles, Scottie, Larry, or Billy.

However, if we have all three loving uncles involved, which is what
will likely happen since MS has already backed off the proprietary
bandwagon in anticipation of the Supreme Court declining to overrule
the DOJ further such that Hailstorm and dotNet will not be the
draconian, its-my-football scheme it started out to be, and will be
made to play well with others in sandbox, so....

Okay, I'm grudgingly for it, provided, of course, that federated
means just that, decentralized and distributed, so that what Len and
Karl have outlined below makes sense. HumanML will just be another
player with a bit of interpretation that can be used in certain
contexts for limited purposes, such as the levels of identity we can
contribute to.