Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] Diplomatic Communications Journal #1

Dear Ranjeeth and everyone,

Anticipating Ranjeeth's important trip to DC, I have prepared a few observations and links that will aid in Diplomatic Communications research:

Observations and Comments about the DipCon Paper as it stands

 a) "Imprecise reporting techniques"

 -since a lot of my research has been working the on Intelligence issues, I have found that the issue of report writing, dissemination, and comment writing were a cause of great concern and internet
 -I will provide a synopsis of an article from an Intelligence journal on this issue

 b) Example of the Chinese downing of US Aircraft

 -when RKT told me that this would be the primary historical example for our paper I was reticent, and mused that perhaps a more distant historical event would be preferable
 -I have found a great editorial from the folks at RAND http://www.rand.org/hot/op-eds/041501SDUT.html
 -the author provides 5 lessons learned, and RKT can use these in an HM context

 c) issues of "formalized explicit expression

 -this ties in with the reporting techniques
 -we need to drive home the benefits of HM efficiencies technology-wise

 D) State Department Mission Information

 -FYI: (quote from State site)

 To carry out U.S. foreign policy, the Department of State:

Leads interagency coordination and manages the allocation of resources in conducting foreign relations;
Represents the United States overseas and conveys U.S. policies to foreign governments and international organizations through U.S. embassies and consulates in foreign countries and diplomatic missions;
Coordinates and supports international activities of other U.S. agencies, hosts official visits, and performs other diplomatic missions; and
Conducts negotiations and concludes agreements and treaties on issues ranging from trade to nuclear weapons.

*****

Ok this sums up my take on RKT's DipCon, I will post another stab with info from my research soon.

Ranjeeth: Anything septic regarding the DipCon doc that you would like to me look into?

Cordially,
Joe Norris