Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] FW: Understanding Terrorists

FYI...(got the wrong email comment list address last time)

Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga
-----Original Message-----
From: Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga [mailto:rkthunga@humanmarkup.org]
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2002 2:25 PM
To: Owen Ambur
Cc: humanmarkup-comment@oasis-open.org; marilyn@parade.com
Subject: RE: Understanding Terrorists

I have personally found we as humans are quite able to hone our mind in various disciplines.  However, in other arenas we don't use precise logic at all, relying on wordplay and so-called 'common-sense' to describe the truth instead.  This appeal to 'common sense' actually involves supression--a suppression of our memory of what we know works and what we know doesn't work.  Thus, instead of finding truth based on experience, we end up appealed by the most parsimonious conclusion--one that doesn't always account for the subtleties and complexities of the truth that we've acquired through our own historical experiences.

As an introduction to you Marilyn, we are hoping, through our HumanMarkup effort, to explicitly represent human characteristics through the use of Internet standards.  These characteristics include intention, attitude, cultural perspective, and belief.  Right now, these characteristics are both implied by the speaker or gleaned by the listener--there is no standard means of representing these elements as explicit, usable data.  This has caused, and continues to cause, a great deal of misunderstanding between people.

Thanks very much Owen, once again, for your help in helping us find contacts to help build HumanMarkup.  We're rebuilding our contacts database at this point, and sending out inquiry letters for both Board membership and funding.  I'll be in touch with the Elie Foundation as well.  I think we are better prepared to ground our effort now than a few months ago, especially with Rex and his experience as ED of the organization.  When I come to DC, I hope we can discuss more approaches we could follow.

I'll do my best, time permitting, to capture as many points as possible to discuss during our visit--including an outline of the Diplomatic Communications requirements for HumanMarkup.  I hope to post an introduction on the XML WG as well before I come down.  Talk with you soon.

Ranjeeth Kumar thunga