Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] Re: [humanmarkup] Base Schema-chronemic

I think I can keep it straight if I do it one bit at a time.
First, signs.  The discussion of channels went in different
directions, apparently, so I don't think we can do that
until we do the more basic pieces.  As I stated into that,
I began to realize just how messy channels are in the
primary because it is an overloaded term in the literature.

Then, yes, we may need to talk about semiotic applications.
Stratified complexity is the topic that Paul has brought
up.  What we need to determine there is where that goes,
vis a vis, applications or I don't know if we are talking
about the same things in the data.

So we may have to talk application architectures just
a bit to make sure our abstractions are indeed, consensual.
By introducing EMOTE concerns or VR/simulation concerns,
the camel's nose is in the tent.

I was doing research yesterday and am coding today
(Visual FoxPro....), so I will have to come back to this.

len

-----Original Message-----
From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]

I know about those TooMuchOnMyPlate days.

As long as we keep the threads recognizable I don't at all mind
taking a break from the alphabetical approach to make sure we are all
grounded. We could then return to it or not as we see fit.

However, my main concern is that we not dissolve into a freeform
discussion that becomes impossible to track and retrieve from the
archives. That was one of the big problems in retrospect with our
Phase 0 work in terms of recreating the chronology and the
development of the concepts we formed as the basis for our subsequent
work. I see the problem in the context of other OASIS TCs and other
standards bodies and working groups. When I say problem, I mean
problemmatic, not difficult, although it can be that, too.

As far as types are concerned, I was under the impression that we
were just dealing with simple and complex, and abstract or not in XML
terms. If by type you are referring to the difference between
symbolic and non-symbolic, then the discussion is broader than
strictly XML. I don't mind that, either, as long as it we don't
confuse the issues we are discussing.

I'm not sure what you mean by stratified complexity systems and
semiotics converging in a common application. Did you perhaps mean a
common approach or methodology? I know for sure you would not suggest
HumanML as an application in and of itself.

At least I think I do :)