Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] Re: regarding stratified complexity systems andsemiotics

To the best of my knowledge, HumanMarkup has mostly been envisioned
as a vocabulary that will enable many kinds of applications. We
narrowed the mission down in scope to communication, and specifically
for improving the accuracy or fidelity of human communication in
digital information systems.

However, while that is the stated mission, any attempt to confine the
uses to which HumanMarkup can be put would be an exercise
metaphorically analagous to putting the proverbial genie back into
the bottle.

For my own part, my interest is in providing for the representation
of Human and Human-like behavior, which will almost always be
intertwined with communications purposes within 3D environments. That
includes facial expressions for which I usually term facial gestures
to be consistent with bodily gestures within the vocabulary. One of
the things I am working on right now is a kind of facial skeleton
that will work with the H-Anim specification that is adjunct to
VRML97, the current ISO standard and/or X3D which will be the next
version of the ISO standard. By building in the possibility for
numerical values for percentages of combinable emotional facial and
bodily gestures which can be based on HumanMarkup, and using those
values to drive H-Anim avatars be they representations of real human
beings or software agents, a middleware can be built to provide
automatic and semi-automatic animated representations of Human and
Human-like behaviors.  But that is just my particular use.

The use I suggested earlier, that of forensic anthropolgy, is another
kind of use for HumanMarkup.

These are by no means the most likely or widespread of the uses we
have envisioned for HumanMarkup. Bear in mind that these uses are
only the ones we have envisioned. Once HumanMarkup gains a stronger
foothold in the computing environment, many more will surface.

I suspect that providing for in-depth personalization information
will be the most widespread use of HumanMarkup. Making it possible
for software to learn a user's preferences over time will become, I
believe, almost a default application of the HumanMarkup. I also
believe that HumanMarkup will be a de facto example of stratified
complexity without putting that forward as a requirement, much as the
process we are currently conducting is an example of descriptive
enumeration, where the enumerations from various application areas
are driving the development of the language/vocabulary.... We look to
applications areas to inform us about what they need, and for
vocabularies with which we must be consonant.

My response to Len's comment stems from some of our earliest attempts
to frame a description of just what we wanted HumanMarkup to be and
to do. I, myself, made the initial error of attempting to model Human
Behavior with it, and so discovered the hard way, so to speak, that
what we really wanted to do, and ALL that we really COULD do, was to
make it possible to model Human Behavior, if someone wanted to. Or,
to be more accurate still, to make it AS possible as we can for
someone to model Human Behavior. It was the distinction between
vocabulary and application that I was pointing toward.

There is no one single application or purpose for HumanMarkup.
Developing Use Cases might be a good idea, and we have done a bit of
that, which is available in the materials we make available from what
we call Phase 0 of our effort from the time before we requested
permission to join OASIS and later joined, on the OASIS HumanMarkup
TC website. However, since we have done so much work, I would rather
proceed onward toward a Primary Base Schema. We are making the
Primary Base Schema adaptable so that as we learn more, we can add to
it. Indeed, one of the issues before us is whether or not we want to
have a Secondary Base Schema or Schemata in addition to the
application area-specific schemata, or modules, such as cultural
modules, which we have already settled on as the appropriate method
for advancing HumanMarkup further.

Taking some time to study further is fine, but it doesn't require
stopping and changing direction midstream. One of the developments
Len is taking into consideration is that of processing. I applaud
that and his intention to investigate stratified complexity as well.
To use a trope of which I am not fond because it has been employed as
slogan by the GOP is nevertheless apropo: We are building a big tent
here, and there, of necessity, MUST be room for all, especially those
whom we must fear and defend against due to the ill will they direct
against us. Our aim is to enable better communication which we think
may make better understanding, in turn, possible.