Subject: Re: [humanmarkup-comment] Next Meeting Information

Title: Re: [humanmarkup-comment] Next Meeting Information
For semiotics: Daniel Chandler's works that are available online,

http://www.aber.ac.uk/media/Documents/S4B/sem01.html

http://www.aber.ac.uk/media/Documents/S4B/sem-gloss.html

and while I hate to say it, our archived yahoogroups email files is the best place to cull out the guiding principles of semiotics beyond the specifics of sign, signal and symbol. I could give you chapter and verse of my own reasoning, but I don't have the time right now.

My personal main source is the Principia Cybernetica

http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/DEFAULT.html

The methodology is likewise a result of our phase 0 discussions. Even though I was a participant it would take me just as much time as it would you to cull out the significant messages. We haven't set down the specific steps of the methodology. A quick summary would be: survey existing bodies of thought on subjects/application areas for key terminology and concepts then apply the understandings of semiotics to develop a set of widely used signs, signals and symbols for subject/app area so that we can produce a standard and harmonized vocabulary. Please note that for the most part, while some of us have operational models that we are working toward, such as VRML/X3D applications for myself, our common denominator is the need to develop a consistent vocabulary.

The actual discussions took a long and arduous road arriving at the point where Len could begin development of the straw-man toolkit schema on which we are basing the Primary Base Schema. Among other work on the yahoo groups humanmarkup site you will find a set of classes and properties that was the basis for HM.frameworks which is our ontological document--available on the OASIS TC website.

Yahoo:

You know the OASIS url but here it is anyway: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/humanmarkup/

You will have to refer to your own work and Paul Prueitts for the first bibliographies I used to study complex adaptive systems and stratifed complexity which I would expect you to understand more thoroughly than I do, and since Len's understanding of it is the operative one wrt our work, you should probably ask him what he is studying.

I always start on google with a quotation mark enclosed key phrase. Two I used are:

http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~sipper/caslinks.html

http://www.aic.nrl.navy.mil/~spears/

If you search on stratified complexity it gets circular since it is Paul's term as near as I can tell, so you are back to his and your work vis a vis "situatedness," which appears to be the point at which his work parts company with complex adaptive systems in general.

Hi Rex

where can I read the details as to what the official word is for the
"guiding principles of semiotics".

Where can I read the details as to "established methodology we have adopted ".

...the details on "complex adaptive systems"

.... the details on "stratified complexity "

David