Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] Our Next Meeting

Rex asked that I post something quickly in reference to
my proposal for experimental sign markup language.  This
is a quick write up of what I have in mind.  Note that
I am not abandoning an effort for the toolkit, but I
feel personally that we need something simpler so we
can investigate the numerous domains that we have
come to understand affect a simple human communication.
Since semiotics have impacted much of thinking, I
think it useful to explore a basic, bare bones,
semiotic markup, or sign metalanguage.

NOTE:  This is not a sign language in the sense
of gestures learned by the hearing-impaired.  It
is a semiotic markup language.

Why Do This?

1.  It is easier than attempting to create a complete and faithful
model of human psychology

2.  It is simple enough to build rapidly.

3.  It provides a basis for experimenting with single and multi
channel human communications.  That is, given Ricardo Gudwin's
paper, one can consider intelligence to be measured by the
numbers and instances of signs that an intelligent system
can handle.   A simple sign processor works with just one.  Others
can handle and correlate multiple sign systems.  The Gudwin model
for a semiotic processor is a pretty good place to start to understand
how a layered system for interpreting signs can be built.

4.  What is learned may enable us to look at our efforts to date
and decide how best to refactor or take a different approach.

5.  It is time to produce.

Constraints:

KISS.  Stick to the classical
definitions of semiotic sign concepts and create a markup
for an observer/markup technician.   Ideally, someone with
an adequate background in semiotic analysis should be able
to take any given sign and create a SignML representation
in just a few minutes.

KISS:  For this first pass, use the DTD form of schemas.
They are easy to do, are the only form of schema XML validators
are required to support, and we can always upsize DTDs to
other languages as long as we avoid any exotic features of
the DTD itself.

KISS:  We know that time/space/culture components are
required for full-up HumanML processing.  It is likely
that these can be integrated via namespace systems.  We
should avoid trying to create a complete model of human
communication and as in item one, stick to classical
semiotic constructs until we are sure we have fully
understood this one piece.

Why?

We know that the effect of a sign on an observer varies by the culture, time, and space
of the observer.   Interpretation varies by context.  Building up a context
is critical to the category problem (how to discriminate members in overlapping
sets and close matches).  However, before we build a context, we have to have
a sign metalanguage.  Then we can go to the next step of how to describe the
context.   Because interpretation varies based on context, we have to work
out where interpretations belong in the markup, or if they belong there
at all.  Because the meanings may be connotative or denotative, different
conditions prevail.  So before we delve to deeply into interpretation,
let's agree on a markup for the signs themselves.

Basic Assumptions:

Everything an observer perceives is a sign, has an interpretation, has an
effect on the observer.

A sign has a

Signifier:  the sign, eg, curve sign on a highway.
Signified:  the concept signified by the sign, the concept of bending
Referent:  an instance of the concept, a real curve in a real road

A sign may be a

Symbol:  the signifier is abstract, does not have a necessary relationship
to the signified; has to be learned through experience or tutorial, eg,
using a Left arrow to mean BACK.

Icon:  the sign resembles the signifier, eg, using a picture or drawing of
a thing as its representation.

Index: pointer to signified (the concept).  Using a scissor to indicate
cut of text.   Using a magnifying glass to indicate a zoom operation.

A sign can be made up of other signs.  Traffic signs often have
compound signs such as the icon for a cigarette with symbol
for NO (circle with line through it) on top of it.  Sign systems
may include multiple signs for different channels, ie, ensuring
that a vocal instruction set is accompanied by pictures, or even
signing language for the hearing impaired.

To start:

<!ELEMENT sign (sign*, signifier, signified, referent) >
<!ATTRIBUTE sign
  id ID #REQUIRED
  type (symbol | icon | index) #REQUIRED >

Comments?