Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] Our Next Meeting

-----Original Message-----
From: Bullard, Claude L (Len)
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 3:43 PM
To: 'Rex Brooks'; humanmarkup-comment@lists.oasis-open.org;
humanmarkup@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: 'cbullard@hiwaay.net'

Rex asked that I post something quickly in reference to
my proposal for experimental sign markup language.  This
is a quick write up of what I have in mind.  Note that
I am not abandoning an effort for the toolkit, but I
feel personally that we need something simpler so we
can investigate the numerous domains that we have
come to understand affect a simple human communication.
Since semiotics have impacted much of thinking, I
think it useful to explore a basic, bare bones,
semiotic markup, or sign metalanguage.

NOTE:  This is not a sign language in the sense
of gestures learned by the hearing-impaired.  It
is a semiotic markup language.

Why Do This?

1.  It is easier than attempting to create a complete and faithful
model of human psychology

2.  It is simple enough to build rapidly.

3.  It provides a basis for experimenting with single and multi
channel human communications.  That is, given Ricardo Gudwin's
paper, one can consider intelligence to be measured by the
numbers and instances of signs that an intelligent system
can handle.   A simple sign processor works with just one.  Others
can handle and correlate multiple sign systems.  The Gudwin model
for a semiotic processor is a pretty good place to start to understand
how a layered system for interpreting signs can be built.

4.  What is learned may enable us to look at our efforts to date
and decide how best to refactor or take a different approach.

5.  It is time to produce.

Constraints:

KISS.  Stick to the classical
definitions of semiotic sign concepts and create a markup
for an observer/markup technician.   Ideally, someone with
Out of the box, a sign can have signifieds.

<!ELEMENT sign (sign*, signifier, signified+, referent) >
<!ATTRIBUTE sign
  id ID #REQUIRED
  type (symbol | icon | index) #REQUIRED >

Comments?