Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] Our Next Meeting

That didn't copy well.  I was adjusting the content model:

<!ELEMENT sign (sign*, signifier, signified+, referent) >
<!ATTRIBUTE sign
  id ID #REQUIRED
  type (symbol | icon | index) #REQUIRED >

A signifier may be associated with multiple signifieds.
That may be a place to put context modifiers.  But if
type indicates a relationship between signifier and
signified, does it apply to all of the possible
signifieds?  If that is so, then we should go at
this one again.  Even the most simple markup approach
will not be easy past the first draft. ;-)  That
is why I am deliberately not filling in more elements
than this one, nor am I claiming it to be the root.

Also, a sign and a signifier are essentially the same
thing, yes, so we could drop that or use it as a
container for representations (eg, refer to pictures
of images) for cases where we know a sign can have
multiple forms.

Comments?