Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] Base Schema-community

Actually, I'm thinking in sets, both overlapping and enveloping, that
is subsets, supersets, and intersecting sets. I don't have a
structure yet. I'm hoping that as we explore this element, some
structure or structures will emerge. I also think that what is
occurring to me is the beginning of an approach to the concept of
perception. It has always been the big missing piece for me. If you
look back at the class structure I did, for example. I included as
much of the established concepts, such as personality type models, as
I thought seemed safe, but I did not include cognition or perception
models. I may be getting closer to a comfort zone for that, but I'm
not there yet.

I agree that the familial relationship is less consenting while
children remain in their minority, though it would apply after that,
and even before, psychologically if not legally. I'm not sure about
consent as an attribute at the base level. I'd like to hear from the
others. What I am thinking is: group - any collection of one or more
humans with or without consent, and group is the atomic level of
community. How it orders itself in ascending levels of abstraction is
not clear to me yet, but this seems necessary to me as the basis for
building up a picture of where group/community belief structures
define however much of any given individual member's perceptions or
predisposition toward taking the group/community belief structure as
their own perceptions.

Thoughts?

At 2:51 PM -0500 7/29/02, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>I agree.  The current model is not abstract enough.
>
>Where the issue is is the properties by which we
>can say they are a group, and
>I believe "community" implies consent to share, be
>it property, definitions, workspace, etc.  That would
>be problematic for a family unit because a familial
>relationship would have both consent (marriage, divorce, etc.)
>and lack of it (children don't choose parents).
>
>So are you proposing an abstract class : group?
>Is that the term that best describes it?
>
>A culture is not a group.  A group can have properties the
>aggregation of which might be a culture.
>
>len
>

>From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]
>
>As I said, I am getting back to the Primary Base Schema discussions
>again. Let me preface this by saying that I do not think that we have
>exhausted the previous elements we have discussed, and, in fact, we
>have not as yet settled on final entries for these elements, but I
>want to continue on because we have enough discussion under each for
>me to retrieve and summarize later, when I do call for finalizing
>definitions.
>
>I especially want to make sure that you don't think that I believe we
>have finished with chronemic in particular because it was the element
>which launched us into the semiotic experiment, which I also want you
>join the discussions for exploring the signs concept as Len and
>Sylvia have introduced it thus far.
>
>Now, having said all that, let's consider our next element:
>
>community
>
>This is a ComplexType without the attribute of abstract, which means
>that it can be used in and of itself rather than requiring a
>derivation.
>
>This element is especially important because, while artifact strongly
>implies a culture for the creation of something which can be a trace
>of human activity; name (which I include because it  has a candidate
>specification to which we will needs adhere) and address pertain to
>localizing an individual; bodyLocation identifies sites on the Human
>Body; channel identifies the sensory inputs that can be assigned to
>the Human as we evolve the concept; and chronemic introduces temporal
>context; community gives us an element upon which we can begin to
>develop context because all humans, even the autisitc, exist in
>relation to the overall human community.
>
>One could argue with that of course, citing the well-known tree
>falling the woods, and also citing evidence of humans verifiably
>raised without human contact--yet we can only conceive of these
>arguments and have experience of the wild children through reports
>from our human community because we have some kind of a priori
>knowledge or experience of human community and context. And, that,
>dear friends is good enough for me and all I will have to say about
>it for now.
>
>What I want to do is consider what Len has in the straw man schema.
> [...]

Starbourne Communications Design
1361-A Addison, Berkeley, CA 94702 *510-849-2309