Subject: Re: [humanmarkup-comment] Base Schema-HumlCommIdentifierAtts(attribute)

Title: Message
I've kinda broken up the discussion...however, this particular thread will be focused on identifying intent (vs. simply describing them).

IDENTIFYING INTENTS
======
My current thoughts feel we may still need to have such a CommIdentifier (or interpretorID?), although the definition may not have been exactly what I stated a couple of days ago.  Although there is no way we can externally verify intent (or emotion, or thought), we can still make explicit conclusions given what we know, even if they are wrong, incomplete, or different.

As you alluded to Rex, there are two intents:  asserted intent, and inferred intent.  Although we may never reach parity between asserted intent and inferred intent, we may necessarily have to have separate containers for these values (distinguished by different interpretorID's perhaps?)

This also applies to belief, culture, and emotions....there is asserted and inferred aspect to each of these as well.  I think this was discussed a while back, but it's worth bringing up again because I would like to refresh myself on how we could address this.

APPLICATION IDEAS
=====
BTW, I am basing my arguments on applications I can envision:
-I would like to explicitly detail how the inferred conclusion about my counterpart's intent compares with his/her stated intent.
-As an application designer, I would like to develop an application based on HumanML that will allow me to input my intention and generate a report that clearly states my intention (simply a field in a database in this case).
-As a simulation designer, I would like to input a value for my intention that will generate the set of signs representing my intent in such a way that I am not being misinterpreted by different cultures.
-As a message processor, I would like to be able to delegate incoming communication streams based only on the original intent of the message.

OTHER POINTS ABOUT INTENT
========
Rex:  Agreed.  A value for intention would necessarily have to be optional.  We can't assert intent when it isn't necessarily so.

Len:  I may be overlapping intent with sign/signal, but I don't think I am...but do let me know.

Do you think "message" may be more appropriate than "intent" as capturing the fundamental aspect of communication?

Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga

 I believe I have said before that we can only and MUST accept any assertion of intent at face value and compare it to the actions of the agent which makes the assertion. I have never been comfortable with the idea of attempting to codify it. Just for the record, I think we will lose credibility if we insist on attributing intention anywhere it is not asserted. There is no question that there are intentional and unintentional signals/communications, but I do not believe we can adequately or correctly distinguish that to any reasonable degree of certainty except to say, with a big disclaimer, "The intent(ion) APPEARS to be...BASED on...."

A message is a signal composed of signs. Beyond that, IMHO, there is likely to be little agreement.

Also, just so no one gets confused, Intention is not included in the current straw man toolkit schema.

So the question is whether or not to include it in the Base Schema, so I suggest we add it to the list of new elements to consider, in this case two elements, intention which I would prefer to shorten to intent and humlCommunicationIdentifierAtts or humlSignalIdentifierAtts or something else.

(NOTE: Hopefully we WON'T stick with this attribute name--if any of you
have any suggestions, please do post ;))

HUMANML -- MESSAGE OR HUMAN
-----
Len had mentioned a while back it may not be possible to convey
intention directly.  And I am finding that it may very well be
true--intention is not visible.  But so often in human communications,
we would need to be able to simply convey a very specific intention,
even though there are several layers that we may need to go through to
ultimately demonstrate it.

I asked myself if we are describing a communication "message" or a
"human"?  As we have approached HumanML, it is certainly the later.  We
settled long ago that we best start with the human first, at the base of
HumanML, and then address the specifics of the communication message
within the description of a human--a more ambitious approach, but
certainly more fully rounded.

However, before our Schema submission to OASIS, we probably should flesh
out any issues we may have with the other perspective.  In thinking
about how to incorporate intention within the Base Schema, I found that
there may be situations where we may want to identify only the
communications "message" itself, and not necessarily the "human".

COMMUNICATION IDENTIFIERS
-------
The way this would work is with an additional attribute, which I propose
for now be called HuMLCommIdentifierAtts.  This attribute would cleanly
allow us to provide a container for intention to be used by most of the
current base elements, without necessarily addressing the philosophical
question of "intentional" vs. "unintentional" communication, which finds
itself a common problem among several of the elements within our Base
Schema, and which we currently have no way of currently addressing.
Nonetheless, it is crucial to have a container for intention available
if we hope to alleviate misunderstanding.

Just like identifying a human being, there are several means of
identifying a "message", but not necessarily any one identifier is
sufficient.  This dovetails with our earlier discussion in our last TC
meeting in which we talked about straight intentions vs. derived
intentions.  In some situations, the intention is a given -- a specific
label such as "to guarantee retaliation".  In other cases, it may need
to be derived based on the signs expressed.

I'm shaking my head out now rather than later.

Intention is a fundamental concept which has to be accounted for in the
Base Schema, especially for Diplomatic Communications.  Although its
painfully clear to be otherwise, formal diplomatic communications is
usually *supposed* to be an "unbiased discussion" free of human
contextual influences (i.e. biases).  Since we are representing extant
systems (at least how they are supposed to work), we would necessarily
have to account for situations of abstracted messages as well.

DATA TYPE
-----
As I alluded to above, the data type for this element should not be
Boolean (i.e. intentional or non-intentional).  Rather, it would be an
enumerated list of possible intentions.  Although it makes intuitive
sense for me to include intention as an attribute set referenced by
several elements, the big limitations is that such a list is unavoidably
flat, by the very nature of XML.  And intentions are NOT so cleanly
broken down.  From my understanding for this to work, extensible
attribute sets will thus have to be referenced within the Primary Base
Schema for additional attribute sets.  I'd like to hear what limitations
this may or may not result in.

CONCLUSION
-----
Ultimately, the HuMLCommIdentifier attribute provides a mechanism to
identify the message itself in cases where only that is relevant.

What about situations where the intention may not be clear, and may need
to be determined based on an analysis of the signs conveyed?  Well, the
HuMLCommIdentifier attribute would only be required if HuMLIdentifier
were not present--it could otherwise be an optional attribute.

(As a note:  the original plan was actually to call this effort CommML.
However, HumanML more fully seemed encompassed the purpose of the
effort.)

TIMEFRAME
----
Rex of course is really looking to get this Schema Draft completed by
the end of this month.  Although we officially until December 1st, 2002
to submit our draft to OASIS, we also have to take into account the
practical matters of timing.  Thus, it is important to flesh out any
concerns as we have them now.

-----
Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga

I'm snipping the content from earlier posts on "Base Schema - Intention"

<snip>
A codelist is just a sign set.  I would rewrite that as

 ->  intention ---> Select(sign+) ---> encodeForTransmission
 |  ---> transmit ---> decodeFromTransmission ---> Select(sign+) --->
intention ->|

|________________________________<______________________________________
_________|

although that isn't quite right either.  What I want to emphasize is the

role of selectors that mediate the signs chosen and transmitted.  That
is,
intention itself requires a selection process and the data being fed to
that comes from the types we have described as culture (itself a sign
set), personal experience (episodic memory) and the emotional
impressions
made by these that predispose the semiote to select certain signs over
other signs.  I don't think we can transmit our intentions.  We can
transmit representations of these as signs.  Again, the problem is
symbol grounding.  That is why Y=F(X) is overly simplistic.  Perhaps
codelist is inappropriate as well in that it also connotes a single
list of value pairs.  We may program it that way, but actually, we
end up in vector space working with proximate values and fuzzy signs.

len