Subject: Re: FW: [humanmarkup-comment] Base Schema - Intention

I think intent is better used as an element to set up the foundation
for the derived elements in the Secondary Base Schema and that fully
enumerated lists belong in Diplomatic Communications schemata and
other Secondary application-area specific schemata.

My reasoning has little to do with intent or any other element and is
based on simplicity being necessary in the Primary Base Schema, or
else it serves no purpose to have it arranged like this and we might
as well set it up so that we only have one schema to which we just
add new elements and attributes as it seems called for. If that is
what everyone wants, that is fine with me, but I don't think it makes
as much sense as having a small primary base, a slightly larger, more
enumerated, but largely derived secondary base for such things as
types of emotion, types of intent etc, and building on those two as a
foundation for derivations which can go their own ways from there...

The attributes which Len has in the straw man strike me as basic and
fundamental and truly global and are mostly there to establish the
datatyping for strings, booleans, and later for name-value pairings.
I don't think intent falls into that category. None of the global
attributes refers to any other element as part of its definition, nor
does it require using some invented set of somethings to describe it
such as we would need to create for intents of messages. All of the
current global attributes are easily understandable, though they can
vary due to language and character sets for well-understood and
accepted concepts like name, address, date of birth, etc.

I think intent should be in the primary base schema with the smallest
possible description being purpose for an action, of which
communication (messages/signals) is the action we are most concerned
with.

XML is plagued with this largely unnecessary division between element
and attribute but we are stuck with it. My opinion is that if we can
elminate attributes as much as possible it will lead to a cleaner,
more efficient and more reliable set of schemata. It will just work
better because it will require less parsing and therefore be
susceptible to less errors and less value judgments such as: what is
the intent of this statement or that gesture?

I think we are just asking for trouble if we do that.

Most especially I do not think we want any elements in our primary
base schema that need to be modified much if at all by other
elements. With intent having enumerations we set up a case where we
could be seen as requiring that some kind of determination be
possible or desireable for every communication as to its possible,
(heaven forbid we ask for actual), intent.

If we don't have specific cultures or emotions in the primary base
schema, how can we have full flown cultural social context
determining any portion of intent?

So, to summarize, I am in favor of having intent as part of the
Primary Base Schema, but not as an attribute to describe types of
communications, such as threat, apology, question, statement, etc. I
think that is best done in the Secondary Base Schema and with all of
these being elements, not attributes. For me, attributes should be
confined to things like name, address, eye color etc. We already have
punctuation for written language and Voice XML for vocal
communications, and the most we should do is incorporate an accepted
waveform identification for emotion states carried in vocalizations.

I am of course, happy to follow whatever the consensus is. I can
easily accept it. And I hope Rob picked up that it needs to added to
the list of new elements to take up after we finish the first run
through.