Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] Base Schema - locator

I don't have a problem with locators, and as I said, I am not
suggesting deleting it. I just wanted to know what there is about it
that is special to HumanML as opposed to the rest of the world or xml
in general. I see your points, and I suspect that as we include it,
it will eventually be included in some overall schema, perhaps the
semiotics schema if such a thing comes about, or an ontological
schema of basic concepts or constructs for an epistemological
framework that clarifies how we describe general consensus reality.

Also, it occurs to me that we may need to narrow object down for this
case so that it is clearly a sign for a physical object, not a
computer network conceptual object.

At 9:09 AM -0500 9/13/02, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>Without locators, you have not way to provide a spatial
>context for other objects.  It is there as a placeholder
>to note that fact.   When you break down the parts of
>any assembly, you generally denote these in terms of
>say "upper", "lower", "upper right" etc.  This is a
>code list for simple descriptions of locations relative
>to each other.
>
>len
>

>From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]
>
>Hi Everyone
>
>Onward...
>
>locator
>
>The element is Complex Type, derived by restrictin from xsd.string is
>not classified as abstract.
>
>It does not reference other elements. It is not used by other elements
>
>It is described/defined as a simple set of names of locations ON an object.
>
>I don't have a lot to say about this one except that I'm not sure why
>we need it. I don't object to it, and I'm not suggesting we delete
>it, I just don't know what the special use is that we have for it
>that raises it to the level of necessity for inclusion in the base
>schema. I understand body location on a human object, but I'm not
>quite sure about locatin on an object per se. I suspect that like a
>few other things that don't seem obvious to me, as soon as someone
>shows me an example of how it would be used, I will do a Homer
>Simpson, apply palm to forehead and utter a plaintive, "Doh!"
>
>Anyway, I'm not gonna have a cow about it.

Starbourne Communications Design
1361-A Addison, Berkeley, CA 94702 *510-849-2309