Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] Article: Emotions and Designing for Li fe

Seems to me that the difference depends on where the sign system gets
processed. If a semiote is a representation of a living human being,
then the ultimate processing takes place in a human consciousness,
which is not the same as a human nervous system. If a semiote is a
representation of a software agent, then there is no appreciable
difference in functionality, except as we program it into the
semiote. How they identify and process signs may be different but
that they perform that function is not. My opinion, of course.

At 9:53 AM -0500 10/8/02, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>Also, Wendell Piez's article on Sign Systems at
>Extreme Markup.
>
>http://www.idealliance.org/papers/extreme02/xslfo-pdf/2002/Piez01/EML2002Piez01.pdf
>
>He explores XML Schemas as sign systems, which of
>course they are, and that is quite a bit different
>from what we are doing but it points out the
>overlap that can be confusing.  We tried to
>point this out in the phase 0 period to some:
>XML is a metalanguage for creating signs and
>so, it is already on the path to reducing
>miscommunication.  It is, however, a semanticless
>language, so unless one is already ontologically
>committed, it can create miscommunication.  Does
>everyone understand the difference because if they
>don't, then some presentations can come across as
>an attempt to reinvent XML and Schemas?
>
>Ask yourselves, what is the difference between a
>DOM engine and a semiote?  They are both sign
>processors.
>
>len

Starbourne Communications Design
1361-A Addison, Berkeley, CA 94702 *510-849-2309