Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] Article: Emotions and Designing for Li fe

There is an difference in layering for one.
A DOM is parser fed but InfoSet modeled.
A semiote can be created using DOM technology.

To explore further, would you expect a DOM
to process connotative signs natively?  It can't.
Why?  The InfoSet is denotative.  Can one
build up a connotative implementation based
on the DOM?  Yes.  That is precisely what
XSLT does:  selectors in context.

HumanML's problem is not technology.  That
we have.  The problem is the tedium of cataloging
in a way that provides a simple to use
data dictionary of the signs of some culture.

len

-----Original Message-----
From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]

Seems to me that the difference depends on where the sign system gets
processed. If a semiote is a representation of a living human being,
then the ultimate processing takes place in a human consciousness,
which is not the same as a human nervous system. If a semiote is a
representation of a software agent, then there is no appreciable
difference in functionality, except as we program it into the
semiote. How they identify and process signs may be different but
that they perform that function is not. My opinion, of course.