Subject: Re: [humanmarkup-comment] Preliminary Base Schema - intent discussions

In summary, Rex and Ranjeeth's take is that Austin speech act definitions
which appear to constitute "intent" in DMML family projects just don't cover
intent fully enough for discriminating between overt and covert intents as
we need to do in HUML to avert recipient misunderstandings.  That seems
right.  The example adduced is of interest for presentations or programming
(included below).

(Only a bit of the prior discussion between Ranjeeth and Rex is shown below
for economy, then I append a description of the precedent cited, including
the components and goals of their implementation of user-goal-oriented
"Conversational Machines" for cell phone transactions and such.  Background
on the suggested reference on intent, DMML, and its harking back to standard
Discourse-theory Speech Acts as far as "intent",  is written up below for
the record; it might be useful for a proposal or publication.  Or just for
quicker reading. )

 From: Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga <rkthunga@interposting.com>
             To: humanmarkup-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
             Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 00:27:42 -0400

      DMML REFERENCE
      For now, I am listing the following effort which we may want to
      harmonize with, which I've posted in the
      past--http://xml.coverpages.org/dmml.html.  ...[not]
      very active in the last couple of years ... [but for] HumanML ...[we
need]  to clearly distinguish between  speech actions and intent--they may
appear to use the same codelists,
      but in fact are on different levels of abstractions.  I don't think DMML
      makes the same distinctions, however.