legalcitem-technical message

Subject: RE: [legalcitem-technical] Question about identifiers and multiple documents

Hi Chet,

Unfortunately legislation does cite the acts as a group without specifying a particular one. Although this citation style isn’t too widely used, the usual purpose is where there are some legal functions with a certain property that occur in more than one Act that the drafter wants to refer to. Instead of trying to list all the different documents each time they list them once and reuse the definition. Some examples of text referring to “the Education Acts” below:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/56/section/3 :

The definition of “pupil” in Subsections (1) and (1A) also apply (unless the context otherwise requires) for the purposes of any instrument made or having effect as if made under the Education Acts.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/56/schedule/1/paragraph/4 :

A person who is registered as a pupil at a school other than a pupil referral unit shall not, by reason only of being registered also as a pupil at such a unit, cease for the purposes of the Education Acts to be treated as a registered pupil at that school.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1976/74/section/18A :

It is unlawful for the Learning and Skills Council for England, the Higher Education Funding Council for England or the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales in carrying out their functions under the Education Acts and the Learning and Skills Act 2000, to do any act which constitutes racial discrimination or harassment.

I’d be really interested to know if this is a feature that is unique to UK legislation or if anyone knows of something similar being used in other types of document. I’m guessing that the amount of effort it’s worth making to accommodate this kind of citation might depend on how widely used it is?

Catherine