legalcitem-technical message

Subject: Re: [legalcitem-technical] Comparison of ELI, Akoma Ntoso (AKN), and LLL (USLM) referencing schemes.

I have added a couple of comments below, on the recording of
jurisdictions and authorities in feature-sets.

Frank

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 3:53 PM, monica.palmirani
<monica.palmirani@unibo.it> wrote:
> [...]
>>> able to create a new one from scratch. In order for them to implement ELI it
>>> needed to be flexible enough to fit in with existing architecture will
>>> minimum alteration.
>>
>> I see that this is an issue. But since we are considering to go through a
>> resolver, we do not have the requirement to modify the physical URL of
>> documents, but just the mechanisms through which the mapping between
>> abstract URIs and concrete URLs is organized. Any kind of legacy naming
>> convention lies at the end of this process, and should not be able to impact
>> on it.
>>
>> CT says:
>>>
>>> If ELI has been implemented it's the http ELI identifier that returns the
>>> document on the national legislation website so there's no need for parsing
>>> for any additional resolution.
>>
>> So ELI is actually a suggestion for physical naming of files so that it
>> does not require resolution. I think that we CAN find a residual
>> justification for this: e.g., if all countries implemented ELI for their
>> physical naming schemes, then resolution from LegalCitem references to ELI
>> names would be very easy.
>>
>> CT says:
>>>
>>> ELI was designed as a common official URI scheme it didn't really
>>> consider citations or links for use on other legal websites.
>>
>> Good to know. On the other hand, we here deal with references, so this is
>> an issue we must consider. For instance, view date is not an issue in
>> identifiers, but it is a BIG issue in references. I can provide details on
>> this.
>>
>> CT says:
>>>
>>> However, saying that I do think that parseability would be useful. I
>>> wonder if it would be possible to allow greater flexibility than a
>>> universally fixed scheme by allowing some custom values and some kind of
>>> embedded statement or declaration about what's being used?
>>
>> Yes, I think we should strive for that. Only, what you call custom values
>> I prefer to call optional features. Would that work for you?
>>
>> 2) Features
>> It may be my impression, but when we'll examine the output of the various
>> subgroups we will have to strive hard to identify info sufficiently
>> organized into structured data that we will be able to place them as
>> features in our schema.
>>
>> So we should start looking into the "minimum required set of features that
>> will be obviously needed".
>>
>> A brief list off the top of my mind:
>> 1) country
>> 2) language
>> 3) document type
>> 4) creation date (for the subtle interpretations of what "creation"
>> actually means, let's consider a separate discussion thread)
>> 5) secondary dates (e.g. version date, view date, etc.)
>>
> MP: for the WORK level we need also:
> - jurisdiction is another important information different from the "country"
> information (e.g., UK case or judgments);

I would favor replacing country with jurisdiction entirely, and
casting this feature as a path, with national jurisdictions rooted on
the country. The sub-elements of non-nations (e.g. international
bodies, or virtual jurisdictions representing mere categories, such as
ad hoc arbitration panels) can be expressed in the same fashion. That
is what urn:lex proposes (at section 2.4 of draft 09), and (in terms
of structure, at least) it seems a good approach.

> - authority (e.g. Uruguay needs to add "chamber" and "senate" for
> distinguish the same document in two different WORKs);

For what it's worth, I would favor using a path-like identifier
to specify issuing bodies with rule-making authority as well, with
committees and the like set as a separate feature.

> [...]
>>

>> Changing the syntax to distinguish between types of dates is a working
>> approach. I don't like it, but I can see it working. Nonetheless, if we find
>> a better approach, I would prefer it.. For instance, Akoma Ntoso uses the
>> positional difference and special separators to obtain the same result.
>>
>> GCV says:
>>>
>>> I see {year} all the the time. For example
>>> /{jurisdicion}/{year}/{sessionNum}/... I believe that notion of {year} is in
>>> keeping with ELI's notion of separating year, month, and day. I don't have a
>>> use case that extends beyond {year} in a legislative context.
>>

>> In a parsable syntax, we would KNOW that a date is a date, and would be
>> able to correctly identify 2015 as a year-only date, 2015-05 as a month+year
>> date, and 2015-05-24 as a full date. There are THREE cases, not two
>> thousands. Can we expect the software to handle three types of date
>> specifications?
>>
>> So if I see something like /{jurisdiction}/2015/{sessionNum}/ I can
>> understand that 2015 is a date, while if I see something like
>> /{jurisdicion}/2015-05-24/123/ I can understand that 2015-05-24 is a full
>> date. It CAN be done.
>>
>>> Perhaps there are two notions of time that we must separate. The first is
>>> a construct that is purely for organizing information in some logical
>>> structure. The second is its use in defining a point-in-time context. The
>>> structure {year}[/{month}[/{day}]] is useful when organizing information --
>>> not so much for establishing the temporal context.
>>
>>   I don't see what 2015/04 can give you that 2015-05 can't, and see plenty
>> of troubles that 2015/05 would bring (again, because of parsability) and
>> 2015-05 would avoid.
>>
>> GCV says:
>>>
>>> Yeah, yeah, yeah. I think I live in that state too! ;-)
>>
>> Ok, thanks. :-) So we agree that national language is a requirement even
>> in situations where there is only ONE official language?
>>
>> Let me confess that I sometimes fear that English-speaking countries tend
>> to consider other languages, and countries with more than one language, as
>> nuisances that would be better off by renouncing to their language and just
>> adopt English.
>>
>> GCV says:
>>
>>> I brought this up as I have seen use cases, with bills, in which there
>>> are multiple versions within a single day. These are corrections that are
>>> published after the initial version was published with an error. The
>>> corrected reprint gets a new version.
>>
>> Ok. This is a thing in which Akoma Ntoso comes short. We SHALL need to
>> have both the date AND the version identifier in expressions. Good to know.
>>
>> Ciao
>>
>> Fabio
>>
>> --
>>

>> On 20/mag/2015, at 13:17, "Tabone, Catherine"
>> <Catherine.Tabone@nationalarchives.gsi.gov.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>   A few additional comments from me, marked CT:

>>> Dept. of Computer Science        Man got to sit and wonder "Why, why,
>>> why?'
>>> Univ. of Bologna  ITALY               Tiger got to sleep, bird got to