Subject: [legalxml-courtfiling] Preliminary List of "Roles" in Legal Proceedings

At the TC meeting at MIT in Boston last month, John Greacen and I agreed
to come up with a list of specific "roles" commonly filled by various
participants in a formal legal proceeding. We want to provide the list
to GTRI from the TC in connection with the GTRI work on a Justice XML
Data Dictionary.

This is a preliminary list of proposed general categories of
participants in a legal proceeding and of specific "roles" within those
general categories. I have not given John a chance to review this
preliminary list in advance, so criticisms, questions, etc. should be
directed to me. Each category description identifies the primary context
of the role (its relationship to something else involved in a legal
proceeding) in parentheses and includes a brief definition of the
"role".

This preliminary list is simply to get the ball rolling. I've no doubt
missed some roles. John and I both will welcome further postings and
suggestions regarding additional "roles" to add to this list.

Rolly Chambers

List of specific roles of actors/participants in a legal proceeding:

- judicialOfficer (of a court) - a person appointed to decide or
administer a case in a court
     justice
     chief justice
     associate justice
     judge
     presiding judge
     chief judge
     magistrate
     magistrate judge
     superior court judge
     district judge
     district court judge
     circuit judge
     circuit court judge
     special master
     clerk
     clerk of court
     assistant clerk
     assistant clerk of court
     registrar
     notary
     court reporter
     arbitrator
     mediator

- administrativeOfficer (of an agency) - a person in an agency appointed
to decide a case
     hearing officer
     board member
     board chair
     vice chair
     chair
     commissioner
     assistant commissioner
     deputy commissioner
     administrative law judge
     general counsel
     witness (for a party) - a person sworn or to be sworn to testify in
a case
     fact witness (for plaintiff)
     expert witness (for defendant)
     deponent
     affiant
     declarant

- attorney (for a party) - a person authorized to represent a party in a
case
     attorney (for a party - e.g. Attorney for Plaintiff )
     district attorney
     deputy district attorney
     prosecutor
     assistant prosecutor
     prosecuting attorney
     US attorney
     assistant US attorney
     public defender
     assistant public defender

- enforcementOfficer (of a law enforcement agency) - a person appointed
as a law enforcement      officer
     detective
     officer
     patrolman
     deputy
     sheriff
     investigating officer
     arresting officer
     agent

- party (in a case) - a person, organization, or In Rem "thing" that is
a party in a case
     plaintiff
     defendant
     petitioner
     respondent
     third-party plaintiff
     third-party defendant
     complainant
     additional defendant
     claimant
     appellant
     appellee
     plaintiff-intervenor
     intervenor plaintiff
     intervenor defendant
     amicus curiae

- victim (of a crime or incident) - a person or organization that is a
victim of a crime or incident

<<winmail.dat>>