Subject: [legalxml-courtfiling] A Vote Not to Approve the Policy RequirementsDocument

Title: Message
I concur with Roger and also vote not to approve the Court Policy requirements document.

Thank you to Don for working on this, and for putting up with those of us (myself included) who have let deadlines pass without taking the time to read the various versions of this document, and/or for not providing feedback even if we did read them.

There are two primary reasons that I propose that we take an approach such as what Roger has proposed with this document, and for all of our future TC work products that are part of the 2.0 family, which we have long said will be a more "ideal" architecture:

1) Even though I was present at the Salt Lake City TC meeting where this document is reviewed, I find that I cannot remember what the majority of the requirements mean.  This is the primary reason I stopped trying to review it and provide feedback some time ago.  I suspect that others may have the same issue, particularly those of us that were not involved in Legal XML in the beginning.  A detailed text description of each requirement, perhaps including how each requirement would be used, should be added to ensure that we all have a shared understanding of the requirements and can provide feedback as to any missing requirements or modifications that might be needed.  I think this is the minimum that is needed before this document should be considered by the TC.

2) I support Roger's proposal that this product be tabled for consideration with the 1.1 series of standards, and instead be included in the 2.0 standards.  If this standard is not needed as part of the 1.1 series of standards, there is no reason to "grandfather" this document.  It should follow the recently-established process, which should start with an overall agreement on the architecture for 2.0 before any of the requirements for the individual sub-parts of the architecture (Court Filing, Court Document/Forms, Court Policy, etc.) are developed.  This is of critical importance and it should be one of the agenda items at the Las Vegas meeting.

In summary, my proposal is similar to Roger's #1 below, including a call to follow our recently adopted procedures for the TC.

Sincerely,

Catherine Krause
E-Filing Project Manager
King County Department of Judicial Administration
(206)296-7860
catherine.krause@metrokc.gov

-----Original Message-----
From: Winters, Roger [mailto:Roger.Winters@METROKC.GOV]
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2002 11:16 AM
To: 'legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org'

To the Court Filing Technical Committee:

We owe a vote of thanks to Don Bergeron for persisting in his work on the Policy Requirements document. He has presented it to us on numerous occasions and has done what he could with the limited input he has received. He accepted the assignment and discharged it with little help from the rest of us.

I have worked on the document, first to suggest changes I thought would make Don's exposition of requirements clearer, for my sake and maybe others. Since Don's call for a vote last week, I have worked through the document again, this time looking for ways to ensure it would give us all the requirements that the Policy specification should later be written to fulfill. Unfortunately, the latter effort hasn't worked.

I believe the Electronic Court Filing TC needs to go back to the drawing board with the Policy specification, because we, the TC members, failed to engage ourselves with the subject. We left it to Don to develop this work product. He presented it in Utah in June and it has been available in written form for our review and comments since. There has not been much feedback. I believe it is because most of the members of the TC have not been paying attention. Perhaps the feeling has been, "So long as it isn't yet a draft specification, it doesn't matter if I don't pay close attention - someone will do that and, if they do not, is much harm done?"

I noticed we didn't get to the agenda item below on our last conference call. Because we didn't discuss and decide anything about it, it appears the assertion it was "removed from consideration" wasn't taken as final, and now we've been called to vote. (Per our adopted Procedures - who has read them?? - the co-chairs are the ones who are to announce review and approval periods and set the deadlines for comments and votes.)

"11. Discussion of Court Policy -- as time permits. The draft requirements document has been removed from consideration. Do we want to pursue a different approach in constructing a revised requirements document?"

I vote not to approve the proposed Requirements. I believe they are incomplete. Some of the sentences in the document I simply could not understand for lack of specifics and definitions and context. I do not feel it provides a complete statement of what the Policy specification must address. I fear that if we adopt the Requirements for Policy as written as our official statement, we will publish something that shows how lightly we, as a TC, have treated their development.

I like to think about and share alternatives, not just say I feel something hasn't worked out. Accordingly, I propose the following:

Option #1. Table or cancel the Court Policy Requirements document and all remaining work on specifications in the "Court Filing 1.x family," leaving "Court Filing 1.1," "Court Document 1.1," and "Query and Response 1.0" as "proposed specifications" of the TC that are written in DTD.

Further:

a) Although I do not know of any court or vendor that expects to implement the original DTD-based architecture fully, as we had envisioned a while ago, if there is such a project, the TC should offer to work with the court or vendor involved to help them meet their needs while the TC does what it needs to do.

b) The TC should now begin development of the "2.x" specification(s) and, whether a single Schema or a family of Schemas, divide the work into logical parts (e.g., Filing Transaction, Court Form, Document, Query/Response, Policy/CDC <-These are not proposals.) and assign groups (not individuals) to get to work on them. The first step, by our procedures, would be for each group to draft the "Statement of Work," to clarify what is to be done and get agreement of the whole TC on that, and then to proceed to develop Requirements, followed by a draft "Candidate Specification," and so forth.

c) As part of the development work, the TC should seek out alternative architectural proposals from anyone willing to offer them (vendors, OXCI, the California group?) so we can review them along with the one we have. We could then rethink our basic ideas and move forward with a renewed, shared vision, whatever it turns out to be. Whether we stick with what we have developed before or not, I believe we need a reality check to make sure all of us are in agreement as to goals, purposes, architecture, specifications needed, etc.

HOWEVER,

Option #2. If we are to continue to develop a Court Policy 1.x specification, I believe a newly reconstituted authoring committee needs to be recruited to restart the process, this time, according to our new procedures:

a) Develop a Statement of Work (What is involved? How will the policy interface be used? Who is needed to do the requirements and drafting work? etc.) and get the TC's approval to proceed based on it.

b) Work out the Requirements anew, e.g., review it against Don's work, look at all of the "Functional/Technical Requirements" adopted by the JTC of COSCA/NACM, and review it in light of all of the elements and functions of the other specifications of the "1.x" family of the Court Filing "family" of specifications, including those not yet written.

c) Within the drafting committee, ensure all requirements are well defined and explained for the lay person (since they must be understood not only by the designer of the EFM and other systems but by each court's experts in its policies and practices). That is what should go to the TC for review and approval. Building on the work already done might help keep this process from taking too long. The result would be an approved statement of Requirements for Court Policy that would be a detailed guide to help developers of the Court Policy specification know what they must address and a clear exposition for courts on what matters and why.

d) Proceed then through the rest of the specification development steps: draft the Court Policy candidate specification, have it vetted on the List and at a Face-to-Face, incorporate input and publish for vote, in which case the specification can become a "Proposed Specification" of the TC. Based on experience from implementations and criteria in the specification, it then could later be elevated to a "Recommended Specification." (These are the procedures we adopted "without dissent" a few weeks ago.)

I recommend we adopt Option #1., above. If we adopt Option #2., instead, I propose we also get started on Option #1. anyway.

For a long time I have been concerned that I didn't understand many things being said and discussed at the TC, because the "tech speak" behind it seemed so familiar to almost everyone else in the room (evidenced by the head-nodding and lack of questions), so I kept silent. I have come to believe that others have been silent too and that the appearance of agreement, especially since "silence is approval," is actually evidence of confusion, uncertainty, and deference to the most vocal others because "they seem to know what they're talking about." It's time for all of us to make sure that we all know what we are talking about and that we are, indeed, actively in agreement.

Regards,

Roger

Roger Winters

"They'll forget it was late, but they'll never forget it was wrong!"

Electronic Court Records Manager

King County
Department of Judicial Administration

516 Third Avenue, E-609 MS: KCC-JA-0609