Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] Document identifiers

>> 2.  Require that either (a) the DocumentID values associated with the Document and Attachment elements in the Blue message structures be equal to the identifier used by the profile to identify the "attached document", or (b) the profile provide for a mechanism to translate IDs used inside the Blue message body into the identifiers it uses to identify "attached documents".

For the systems we are developing for LexisNexis's FileAndServe integrations, we choose (b).

In the XML, each of our documents *may* express these functional properties, such as:

- documentIds (sender's and/or recipient's value, where necessary)
- documents' relationship to the filing and/or other documents (ie leadDocument vs. supportingDocument)
- documentType (code/description pair representing the functional type of document)
- documentMimeType (standard mime-type expressing the technical format of the document)
- document size expressing the byte count of the document
- document page count expressing the page count of the document
- documentTitle, etc , etc.

Finally, we have:
- document URI
If the document is to be retrieved from another system, we use a standard URI such as:

If the document is to be retrieved from a local system, we would use UNC, such as:
If the document is to be retrieved from a WebService's 'Dime' list, we devised this URI-consistent syntax:
dimeAttachment://dimeAttachmentId

Now, before you slam me with 'Hey, that's not official!'  - it is syntactically correct; it just isn't a nationally recognized URI prefix.
It's kosher - just not internationally-recognized kosher.  The same might be said of other URI prefixes we use in day-to-day life, such as those used by 'Real' and other web-widgets.

Though this is not entirely relevant, we also devised a URI to represent a document which is carried directly within our private filing objects.
LNAttachment://AttachmentId  (though, we would *not* exchange such a URI with an external system)
The point here is that LexisNexis has had good success using 'URI' syntax to represent the location of our our binary documents, regardless of whether they are part of a dime collection, or local filesystem, or external system, or even part of a private array of objects.  And the URIs often have nothing to do with the functional property of documentId.

With this approach, we need only devise URI syntax that is appropriate for each of our implementation profiles.

- Shane Durham
LexisNexis