Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] Conditionals in message structure specifications

On this matter,  I don't think we can say 'yes, always do it this way'... or 'that way'.

can only hope that we might occasionally recognize when two-or-more major variations of 'Thing' should be represented with object inheritance, such that we have 'ThingVaration1' and 'ThingVariation2'.

In the example Scott mentioned, I do not see 'existing CourtCase filing', and 'new CourtCase filing' as two sub-classes of 'filing'.

However, I *might* see 'existing CourtCase' and 'new CourtCase' as two sub-classes of 'CourtCase', where certain properties are required/optional in the different sub-classes.

Likewise, I *might* see 'civil filing' and 'criminal filing' as two sub-classes of 'filing', because, I think, they would have significantly different sets of properties that might be cumbersome to express merely as 'optional' members of filing.

I think there is a time-and-place for inheritance techniques.
We should not entirely dismiss them, nor should we overuse them.
(..not very profound I suppose.)

- Shane Durham
LexisNexis

From: Scott Came [mailto:scott@justiceintegration.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 7:25 AM
To: legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org

Well, I'd say the complexity you mention really exists (it's not introduced by this approach), so it has to be dealt with in some way.  However, in the interest of getting the spec done by mid-July, I can see taking the approach of just presenting the rules in prose.  Something we might want to look at down the road.