Subject: Re: [legalxml-courtfiling] RE: [Norton AntiSpam] [legalxml-courtfiling] Please review 'Proposed Service Models for ECF3'

Title: Please review 'Proposed Service Models for ECF3'
John,

I disagree with your evaluation of Model B and believe you have some assumptions that are not true.  The notification we are doing in Orange County goes out prior to Clerk Review.  When Model B sends service it can include the documents or it can include a link to the documents prior to the documents being processed and reviewed by the clerks.  I agree that the example that I sent was miss-leading and I should have corrected regarding the links.  It was the original request of OC but we have changed this to be a generic link that does not refer to the DMS.  Even still, there is nothing that says the DMS does not have a temporary holding place for the document.  There is a dependency on both models to contact the court before sending out the information, because as you so clearly reported a service must check with the court and access the most up-to-date information.

Model A is a many-to-many model and Model B is a many-to-one model.  The complexity of managing the many-to-many communications model is significantly more difficult than the many to one and would require that the update of the users also include the update of all the Filing Assembly MDEs which I anticipate after the standard begins will increase to hundreds per court.  That means that each Model A Filing Assembly system must understand how to properly communicate to sources and update that each time a service goes out.

You suggested what if the court system bounced the message.  Well what if the court system bounces the message to update all users, and this includes updating all Filing Assembly MDEs.  That arguments is the same in either model.  Now what if you have 50 Filing Assemble MDEs and 20 bounce?  Now what.  If the courts server bounces the Filing itself will not go through.  I don't think your arguments are valid.

As for the rules change I do not agree with you again.   There is nothing in Model A that says the service must go out prior to sending the service to the Courts, and remember, a message has to go to the courts to get the updates.  In addition, if the message is sent through Model B, the delay in the message being transmitted is less than a few minutes.  If as you say the service must be "perform secondary service prior to or contemporaneously".  I would argue that within a few minutes is contemporaneously and the rules you suggest must be changes is wrong.

I think your position is not valid and in error and we must support both models based on what the courts want.

Dallas

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 2:36 AM

I believe very strongly that eService is a critically important part of the business model for eFiling.  The availability of eService provides a significant additional incentive for lawyers to participate in an eFiling system.  Consequently, I very much want to see it included within Electronic Court Filing 3.0.  That does not necessarily mean that it has to be included in the initial deliverable to the Joint Tech committee that needs to be completed within the next few days.  Jim Cabral suggests that we could pose the issue of the competing eService models to Joint Tech and ask Joint Tech to decide which to pursue.  I do not favor that approach.  I do not think that Tom Clarke and I could explain the models to Joint Tech within the time available, I doubt that the committee members could digest the differences, and I also douct that they could provide a reasoned decision within the time constraints of the meeting even if we were able to present the issues in a completely understandable fashion.  However, I think it would be possible to withhold an eService model from what we present in the next week.  I hope, however, that we can reach a decision on Thursday that avoids having to present a partial model.

The comments on the eService models contain a few basic misperceptions that I would like to clarify with the following statements about service and eService:

1)       Courts today must maintain complete and accurate records on the persons entitled to service in each case and the addresses at which to serve them.  These records are updated on a frequent basis in every court.  Parties change lawyers; lawyers change office addresses; and lawyers cease to represent parties.  It is a basic and essential role of the clerk of court to maintain this information accurately.  For this reason, some courts assign each lawyer a unique ID which is linked to a single address in the database; if the address is changed the new address appears automatically in every case in which that lawyer appears.  Some courts do not have this capability and require lawyers to file change of address notices in every case in which s/he appears.  It all works out the same – the court keeps track of whom to serve and their current address.  Both Models A and B require the court to maintain a complete and accurate list of electronic addresses for eService purposes.  It would be possible under either model for a court to delegate that responsibility to a contractor.

2)       Parties can come to the court to review the case file or the case management information system to update their own records concerning parties entitled to service.  Or they can maintain their own service list, compiled and updated as they receive documents that change who is to be served or where they are located.  The parties get copies of the same documents the court uses to update service information.

3)       Courts are required to serve copies of their notices, orders and judgments on all parties in a case.  They use their CMS database of parties and addresses to do so.  Many CMSs have the capability to produce mailers for this purpose automatically.

4)       Many courts implementing eFiling have established their own registries of eFiling users.  State or local eFiling rules often require registration in order to obtain a UserID and to register a password, which together constitute a signature by the submitting attorney on the lead document submitted.  However, this is not an essential component of an effective eFiling and eService system.  The small group that developed Model A started with the assumption of such a registry.  We concluded that a registry would not be needed if the eFiling/eService system were designed effectively.  So, Model A does not assume a central state or local registry.  Neither, for that matter, does Model B.  Relieving the court of the need to maintain such a registry would be a welcome development.

5)       Rules authorizing eService will undoubtedly continue to come in various flavors.  The current Washington rule is extremely restrictive, requiring “agreement among the parties” in each case in which it will be used.  I prefer a state rule that says if you eFile, you consent to eService.  The current federal system is based on local option.  The federal CM/ECF software supports eService, but each court decides whether and on what terms it will use that system.  The court may implement it on a “voluntary” basis – applicable only to persons to choose to be served electronically; it may make eService mandatory for all eFilers.  Electronic Court Filing 3.0 will have to support all rule variations; consequently, it must be designed to support eService databases unique to each case.  If it can support that use case, it can easily support mandatory eService courts.

6)       Current service rules require the filing party to perform secondary service prior to or contemporaneously with the filing of the document with the court.  The “federal” model – where the court’s computer performs eService – alters that process.  Service occurs at the time the court dockets the document filed.  (The federal system no longer employs a Clerk Review function; filings go directly onto the court docket and into the court document management system; quality control is performed after the fact not before the fact.)  In discussions of this model within the TC we concluded that court-delivered eService would have to occur at the time a filing is received, not when it is docketed, because docketing may be delayed significantly by the Clerk Review function (which we now call the Review Filing MDE). The rules of procedure provide that a party’s time for response begins on the date of receipt of a hand delivered copy or three days after mailing of a copy.  One argument in favor of eService is that it eliminates the three day rule for mailings and hence speeds up case processing; this is true only if the time of service is independent of delays created by clerk’s office docketing processes.

Given this background, let me summarize my understanding of the distinctions between the two models.

Model A requires the Filing Assembly MDE to perform eService at the time of filing, using a list of eService recipients and electronic addresses provided by the court.  This model requires no changes to current rules governing service, other than the authorization of eService as a form of secondary service.  A court could conceivably hire a contractor to build and operate the electronic service and addressing component of its case management application.  That seems unlikely to me; adding electronic addresses is a relatively straightforward addition to the functionality of a CMIS.  On the other hand, a court can choose to provide its own Filing Assembly and Filing Review MDE functionality.  So, the entire eFiling/eService process can be performed by the court itself under Model A.

The federal system operates its own Filing Assembly and Filing Review MDEs.  All filings are done through a web interface created by the federal courts.  All filings are received and processed by the CMS component of that system.  eService is performed by the same two processes.  However, eService is not performed according to Model A.  The filing is served after it is received and docketed by the court.  But, as noted above, because of the absence of a manual Filing Review process, the timing of eService under the federal system is virtually the same as contemplated by Model A.

Dallas’s expressed concern that the submitterID under Model A is not the same as the ID of the attorney submitting the filing is misplaced.  The submitterID is the person or machine in the attorney’s office from which the filing actually originates.  It is entirely appropriate for eService to go to that same person or machine in the attorney’s office.

Model B provides for the court (or a vendor hired by the court) to perform eService after a filing has been received by the court, using exactly the same list of eService recipients and electronic addresses used in Model A.  Model B ensures that the documents received by the court are the documents served on the parties entitled to service.  However, it is altogether possible that the documents are not transmitted at all; the Notice of Electronic Filing proposed for Orange County does not transmit the filed document; it merely sends a URL for the document on the court’s website.  This process is only possible if the eService notice goes out after the filing has been processed through the manual Clerk Review process and committed to the court’s CMS and DMS.  This creates the timing issue discussed at length by the TC.

Both models allow for the existence of commercial eFiling service providers and both models require those providers to transmit eService messages to the eFilers they support.  Both models transmit information to eFilers (through their Filing Assembly MDEs) concerning the persons for whom they must perform traditional paper-based service.

Consequently, the results of Model A – as I perceive it – are that it

-          maintains the current rule structure for eService – having it occur contemporaneously with filing;

-          provides the served party with the actual electronic documents submitted for filing (Under our proposed structure, it uses the identical Review Filing message.  While it is conceivable that a Filing Assembly MDE could create a system that allowed a Filer to construct different messages with different documents for the filing and service versions of the same Review Filing message, this functionality would not be available to the Filer absent such collusion by the Filing Assembly MDE.  We could include provisions in our specification requiring the Filing Assembly MDE to create the service and filing messages from the same message constructed by the Filer.)

-          allows a court that wishes to provide Filing Assembly and Filing Review MDEs as a public service to do so and to support eService accordingly.

-          allows a court to have commercial Filing Assembly providers perform eService;

-          eliminates any possibility of delay in eService arising from court processing of the Review Filing message; and

-          provides an elegant solution to the messaging structure for ECF 3.0 (a single message structure accomplishes both filing and service).

The results of Model B – again as I perceive it – are that it

-          requires a revision of the rule structure for eService in every state using it – having eService follow filing rather than accompany filing

-          necessarily requires a court to assume responsibility for eService (by itself or through a contractor);

-          allows a court to opt to transmit a URL in lieu of the documents submitted for filing, at the cost of delaying eService until after the Filing Review, docketing, and DMS submission processes are completed, introducing uncertainty as to the timing of eService.  (Of course, the court’s computer will maintain a record of the actual moment of eService, so this process will not introduce uncertainty about the responding party’s deadline for filing a response.  The uncertainty will arise from the fact that delays in the clerk’s office will create delays in service – a situation that does not occur under paper service rules.  It will be possible that opposing counsel receiving eService will not know for a week that a document has been filed while counsel receiving paper service knew the next day.)

-          ensures that eService will not be performed for documents that are not received by the Filing Review MDE because, for example, they are not correctly addressed to the court, are corrupted, or contain a virus.

This analysis causes me to favor Model A because it allows for greater flexibility and, with the exception of the possible transmission to opposing counsel of a filing that bounces when it reaches the court, provides all of the features of Model B without requiring any major rule changes or risking any delays arising from clerk’s office processing of filings.  I believe that Model A should and will become the preferred model and that ECF 3.0 should support it exclusively.  I see no need to postpone a decision on this issue.