Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] Multiple Document Versions Option 4

Roger -- Everyone is in agreement with your observations, with the exception
that some courts file proposed orders in their CMS.  Whether to do that will
be optional with the court.

We are including a tag in the rendition metadata for designating one of the
filings as the "official" document.

-----Original Message-----
From: Winters, Roger [mailto:Roger.Winters@METROKC.GOV]
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2007 10:14 AM
To: Rex McElrath; legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org

Sorry I couldn't be in San Diego and couldn't participate in yesterday's
call. I do plan to be on the call today.

Regarding multiple versions, I have one concern which I think is
addressed, but I want to be sure. Rex's document included language that
talks about the primary document or format of which the multiple
versions are "exact copies" (in terms of content). He discussed that
first document as the "original" when it comes to e-filing.

I'm not sure I remember the business cases for multiple formats, but I
do want to stress some points which might then require changes or a
notation in the specification. It appears to me that all of the
"alternate format" documents have temporary uses, so, unlike the
"original" (usually, a PDF), they do not need to be retained for as long
as the case record is retained. Courts of limited jurisdiction may have
relatively short periods for retaining case records; courts of general
jurisdiction typically are required to keep court case files
"indefinitely" (interpreted as meaning "forever"). Even with reduced
costs for storage space, we would NOT want to keep the alternate
versions in the DMS, would we? If the document is for display purposes
only, then it might need to be retained, but there should be something
to indicate the relationship between it and the "original" and to prove
they are "in sync."

* There can be only one "original" document. (As the saying goes, "The
person with two watches never knows what time it is!") That a given
document is "the original" needs to be clearly indicated if a formality
of e-filing the document is involved in a transaction. The Clerk has the
duty to receive and preserve the "original" filed document as it was
filed; safeguarding it against unauthorized changes is also a Clerk's
duty. (Is there a Clerk's obligation to preserve the alternate formats
against change? Does the Clerk need to attest that the alternate formats
match the "original?" How would that be done?)

* The alternate format document, it seems to me, could be used for
display purposes or could be used by the judge or someone as a draft or
template. In our Clerk's Office, we do not allow the filing--in the
Clerk's Office--of unsigned proposed court orders. They are routed
separately to the judge. If the alternate format document is intended
for a purpose outside the e-filing and DMS systems, that would be fine,
but it should NOT be accepted by the Clerk as part of the "official case
record."

* It seems to me that the alternate format documents should be scheduled
for automatic destruction, since they are not the "original" documents.
They might be set to "expire" after a set period of time (or "X days
following case completion," for example). My point is that even though
they may remain "exact copies" in terms of content (words, layout,
pictures, other human readable/observable features) they are not
"original" documents for the official case record (DMS).

I'd appreciate any corrections regarding the above, to give me a clearer
understanding of this multiple versions action.

Roger Winters
Program and Project Manager
and
Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Coordinator
King County
Department of Judicial Administration
516 Third Ave. E-609 MS:KCC-JA-0609
Seattle, WA 98104