Subject: RE: [legalxml-courtfiling] FW: ECF Schema Related Question

I think that Serguei is correct in his assessment and that has been a struggle for us as well.

Dallas

From: legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Serguei Mysko
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2012 4:22 PM
To: Joe Mierwa
Cc: legalxml-courtfiling@lists.oasis-open.org

Joe,

I don't think ECF spec will ever get the same level of attention, participation and enthusiasm as with Apache Hadoop, Ubuntu or even OASIS AMQP.
That's why I see your input as valuable; we all need to exchange with opinions more often than we do.

I had similar questions myself, scratched my head:
- Why would they (OASIS, NIEM) do it this way? Gee!
Just to later 'unscratch' it:
- Well, that was smart on their side, I did not see it from the beginning.
In other cases - no 'unscratching' took place - my schema extension would resolve the issue.

What I am saying, cardinality, missing elements, additions and alike - there are solutions.
1. Don't forget about the Subset.zip archive: http://docs.oasis-open.org/legalxml-courtfiling/specs/ecf/v4.0/ecf-v4.0-spec/xsd/
You may want/need to augment/modify it.
2. You can use substitution groups to have it your way.
The two are better solutions to an alternatively would be rigid ECF spec decision on cardinality, set of elements.

Example:
Say, you are providing solution to X number of Courts, all with similar requirements as for Lead/Connected docs, cardinality being one of them.
Use the (1) and (2) to get common schema, the way it fits better the Courts.

The point here is that ECF spec or any other one in the field would never be at the same level as HTTP or TCP protocol specifications regarding normative vs informative.
One has to decide first what is normative, a must/optional, etc., for each particular business model.
The primary difference is that HTTP/TCP deal with a single domain, ECF has to 'please' a great number of domains.

-
Serguei